Question about ar15 trigger and springs..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
As earlier I had ignition problems with the JP springs, I guess I can get a spare hammer and start modifying.

Does anyone know what material and rockwell the hammers standard hammers are.

Standard hammers are carbon steel. You don't modify any hardened / critical areas doing the speed hammer mod.

Not questioning, but curious as to the circumstances in which you had ignition problems.

ddlstang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hammer seemed very "SOFT" on dry fire before test fire. The pin would dimple the primer but would fail to fire, well the WOLF ammo would not fire but had some other unk 55grain ammo that would occassionally fire. Only had the 2 types while at the range but if it wont shoot one type then I need to fix something. Realistaclly the trigger was too light, I like a solid trigger feel but wanted something a little smoother and lighter, maybe in the 5lb range.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Standard hammers are carbon steel. You don't modify any hardened / critical areas doing the speed hammer mod.

Not questioning, but curious as to the circumstances in which you had ignition problems.

Nikat it's a pretty common issue with just dropping JP springs in with a stock FCG.

Here's what I did on my 3G rifle. Bear in mind I have no intention of jumping into the 3 Gun Nation circuit or anything like that, if I ever start shooting large matches it will get a JP or Geissele.

What I got was your standard milspec CMMG kit only with a nickel boron coting, a/k/a Fail Zero coating. I then did the dremel whack job on the tail of the hammer being discussed and used JP springs and the old setscrew trick. Look it up on barfcom, it's over there and it works. Just know exactly what you are doing when setting it, use RED locktite when you get it set, and once applied let it set up fully without playing with it. Is this setup a Geissele? Nope. But it stomps a stock FCG. :twocents:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Nikat it's a pretty common issue with just dropping JP springs in with a stock FCG.

Here's what I did on my 3G rifle. Bear in mind I have no intention of jumping into the 3 Gun Nation circuit or anything like that, if I ever start shooting large matches it will get a JP or Geissele.

What I got was your standard milspec CMMG kit only with a nickel boron coting, a/k/a Fail Zero coating. I then did the dremel whack job on the tail of the hammer being discussed and used JP springs and the old setscrew trick. Look it up on barfcom, it's over there and it works. Just know exactly what you are doing when setting it, use RED locktite when you get it set, and once applied let it set up fully without playing with it. Is this setup a Geissele? Nope. But it stomps a stock FCG. :twocents:

Thanks Shadow.

Like I'd said, I wasn't questioning. I had issues with mine too before I did the speed hammer mod, but only when shooting in cold weather. I haven't done the set screw, and only using a standard PSA FCG right now, but the springs made a huge difference. Planning on getting the ALG QMS trigger group before too long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom