Question about ar15 trigger and springs..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddlstang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just built a new gun and installed the JP trigger spring kit. The trigger felt great but had very bad ignition problems. I did not lighten the hammer so that may make a difference. I pulled the springs out and just polished up the sear and hammer and feels pretty good, still heavy though.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just built a new gun and installed the JP trigger spring kit. The trigger felt great but had very bad ignition problems. I did not lighten the hammer so that may make a difference. I pulled the springs out and just polished up the sear and hammer and feels pretty good, still heavy though.

The speed hammer mod should be mandatory when using the "light" JP spring kit.

ddlstang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone make a titanium trigger ? I could lighten one, thats not an issue but I have no idea how much I can get away with.

I saw somewhere that people will cut one leg on the hammer spring and bend the legs of the trigger spring and have no ignition issues. Am kind of leary of this though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone make a titanium trigger ? I could lighten one, thats not an issue but I have no idea how much I can get away with.

I saw somewhere that people will cut one leg on the hammer spring and bend the legs of the trigger spring and have no ignition issues. Am kind of leary of this though.

Don't bend anything. Get the JP yellow spring.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I saw somewhere that people will cut one leg on the hammer spring and bend the legs of the trigger spring and have no ignition issues. Am kind of leery of this though.

You have good reason to be leery of it, because it's a bad idea. Purpose built spring sets like the JP have been engineered and tested. Re-bending springs ruins the tensile strength of the spring and causes fatigue, not to mention "eyeball engineering", isn't really engineering at all. At $12-15 a set, the JP springs are a bargain.

As for the trigger, it doesn't need any lightening, only the hammer. Just cutting the hook off the back of the hammer to shape it into a flat, rectangular bar is enough.

ddlstang

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As earlier I had ignition problems with the JP springs, I guess I can get a spare hammer and start modifying.

Does anyone know what material and rockwell the hammers standard hammers are.

Latest posts

Top Bottom