Question about ar15 trigger and springs..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93turbohatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't need anybody to do trigger work for you. AR's are built to be tinkered with. There are several drop in models, that require nothing more than a punch to get the pins out, and a soft hammer to put them back in. Done except for a little adjustment and you can see how to do that on youtube.

Personally, I have the JP trigger systems in all of my AR's that require "fitting". I love making things fit, and knowing I can do a little extra polishing, adjusting, etc. to get it right where I want it.
If you want to do a drop in model, I'd suggest the "anti walk pins". Cheap, just a few bucks, but they will prevent the pins working themselves out of the hole.

I've built a few ar's so getting the trigger out isn't a problem. I don't want problems like light firing after trying to do something I know nothing about.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once you do the first one, you will wonder why you didn't do it way before.

JP actually has a "one screw up" program. If you follow their directions, and accidently make a mistake, they will work with you to get you back on track. Pretty good deal.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.triggerwork.net/index.html

I found this guy out of colorado that does trigger work. I was thinking about trying him out. WHat do you think?

NO.

Bill's work used to be OK, but a lot of his more recent triggers have "gone away" after repeated use. The same can be said for the RRA 2 Stage triggers.

I've posted this so many times, I should have it saved in a word file. If your budget for a trigger is $150 or less, buy the JP spring set, do a speed cut on the hammer (to decrease lock time and increase ignition reliability) and a super-light fluff & buff on the engagement surfaces, then a quality hi-temp grease on those surfaces = done. It will give you a smooth, slightly longish single stage trigger pull in the 4-5 pound range that's worlds better than stock. If you have over $150, get a Geissele and you'll never regret it. Just keep in mind that they have about 9 different models, so you have to match your choice to what you want it to do specifically. They're all dead nuts reliable, so choosing which model is really up to personal taste.

I've done numerous JP spring/modified triggers and they all work reliably and satisfy the various users. I have Geissele units in all my personal ARs. I've yet to find a compelling argument for doing anything else.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
NO.

Bill's work used to be OK, but a lot of his more recent triggers have "gone away" after repeated use. The same can be said for the RRA 2 Stage triggers.

I've posted this so many times, I should have it saved in a word file. If your budget for a trigger is $150 or less, buy the JP spring set, do a speed cut on the hammer (to decrease lock time and increase ignition reliability) and a super-light fluff & buff on the engagement surfaces, then a quality hi-temp grease on those surfaces = done. It will give you a smooth, slightly longish single stage trigger pull in the 4-5 pound range that's worlds better than stock. If you have over $150, get a Geissele and you'll never regret it. Just keep in mind that they have about 9 different models, so you have to match your choice to what you want it to do specifically. They're all dead nuts reliable, so choosing which model is really up to personal taste.

I've done numerous JP spring/modified triggers and they all work reliably and satisfy the various users. I have Geissele units in all my personal ARs. I've yet to find a compelling argument for doing anything else.

How does the JP trigger set fit into this?

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JP_Original_Fire_Control_Kit_for_AR_15_AR_10_Type_p/jp-fc-1.htm

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I think it's a quality piece of kit, but I have two personal issues with it. Nearly $120 for an adjustable trigger and two springs is too much and I don't like set screws on a hard use gun. If you look hard enough, you can get a Geissele SSA for around $175 (MSRP on a Geissele 2 Stage is $165). It comes with the hammer, trigger, springs and hardened hammer & trigger pins and no set screws.

At the price point for the JP trigger, I'm back to either a modded mil-spec kit or all-out with the Geissele.

So far I own a SSF, SSA and S3G. I think the trigger I'll be getting for my current project will be the SD-E. It should provide a good balance between speed, precision and control.

Latest posts

Top Bottom