Question asked at my pediatricians office

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems like the AAP is making a push not to just fill out forms but to talk to the parents about safe gun storage. Whether that's really effective (they believe it is), who knows.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2012/10/15/peds.2012-2481.full.pdf

52. Barkin SL, Finch SA, Ip EH, et al. Is
office-based counseling about media use, time-
outs, and firearm storage effective? Results
from a cluster-randomized, controlled trial.
Pediatrics
. 2008;122(1). Available at: www.
pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/122/1/e15

53. Grossman DC, Stafford HA, Koepsell TD, Hill
R, Retzer KD, Jones W. Improving
firearm storage in Alaska native villages: a ran-
domized trial of household gun cabinets.
Am J Public Health
. 2012;102(suppl 2):
S291–S297

Bring on the conspiracies, we need some more in this thread.

So you're saying I wrote all that stuff on the AAP website and hacked their links to put it there? You know, all the stuff about gun control that you ignored in your pedantic derailments? Here, I'll give you yet another chance. Attached is a link form one of the websites of your peoples (you know, liberals who think it takes a village to raise a child):

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/13/pediatricians_take_on_the_gun_lobby/

Now this is in the words of your own people. They say it's for our own good to enact more gun control "for the children". Now I'm all for you running to these people for advice on how to protect your kids from your own selfish desires to have guns in the home (you did go get those gun locks and put them on every gun in your home, right?), but some of us don't want to see kids raised with no awareness of guns other than they are bad and only good for killing innocent victims. Yet here you are, calling us conspiracy nuts for disagreeing? Who made you king?

So please, enlighten us oh Great One! :D

P.S. Since you're so hell bent on flopping a great big red herring all over this thread, I checked with the National Swimming Pool Association. They said since it's enumerated in the Constitution of the United States that the right of the people to keep and bear awesome swimming pools shall not be infringed, Peds should be banned from asking about swimming pools on wellness visits. Happy now? :wink2:

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When a state run medical agency (not saying which one) went to my fathers home for a visit and found that he had a loaded gun in the pocket of his recliner, they wanted to put him in a home for old folks with mental issues. A locked nursing facility.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you're saying I wrote all that stuff on the AAP website and hacked their links to put it there? You know, all the stuff about gun control that you ignored in your pedantic derailments? Here, I'll give you yet another chance. Attached is a link form one of the websites of your peoples (you know, liberals who think it takes a village to raise a child):

If you have anything other than ad hominems to bring to the table then I think you could turn out a good discussion. It is what it is, though. I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by personally attacking someone who disagrees with you, but it can always go on without you.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have anything other than ad hominems to bring to the table then I think you could turn out a good discussion. It is what it is, though. I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by personally attacking someone who disagrees with you, but it can always go on without you.

I didn't bring the snarky sarcasm to the discussion you did. I didn't bring red herring to the discussion, you did. Don't bring dishonest debate tactics to the table and expect to remain above the fray, mmmkay? :)

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't bring the snarky sarcasm to the discussion you did. I didn't bring red herring to the discussion, you did. Don't bring dishonest debate tactics to the table and expect to remain above the fray, mmmkay? :)

You initiated and brought those things since post 37 and continue to deliver. Enjoy what you've piled up here. It's all yours.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You initiated and brought those things since post 37 and continue to deliver. Enjoy what you've piled up here. It's all yours.

How's the oxygen level in that rarefied air where you can do no wrong Mr. Perfect? Go back to post #35 to see the beginning of this little lovefest. While you're at at it, count the number of times you incorrectly attributed things to me I didn't actually post. Then count the number of times you attempted (and failed) to redirect the thread into petty semantics and parsing of minutia that didn't mean anything at all. Like I said, you brought the dishonest debate tactics to the table and then you got beat at your own game.

The LightningCrash doth protest too much, methinks.

I'm done with you, you're dismissed. ;)

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not a member of the AAP. Or the AAFP. Or the AMA. Or the OMA or OAFP. Not a member of ANY so-called "professional" organization.about child safety?

<edit> Eff it... there's no point in continuing this.

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought that question had become a standard question these days. I was asked it on a regular check up about a year ago. When the nurse asked me my response was a simple "all but two." It caught her off guard for a second but she finally got my meaning and smiled. Personally, I see no point in being evasive about it. If the reason for the question was to conduct some survey or something I want them to know gun ownership isn't fringe. A lot of people own guns and if you do be a proud gun owner. Beside, I'm quite sure big brother already knows I have guns.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So took my boy for his 9 month check up today and one of the questions the lady asked us in the room was "Are there any guns in the house, and are they safely stored away". I don't see how this matters? I understand guns along with about a thousand other household items can cause injury/death, but why didn't she ask if I have kitchen knives safely stored or a TV sitting on top of a dresser that can fall on top of them?

Nope. No guns in the house. Guess she shoulda ask if I had one in my pocket , LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom