Question asked at my pediatricians office

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was it on a form the OP was filling out, or did someone ask?

To use a comparison, is fire safety only important when a house is on fire?

Fire safety in the home is usually not my first concern when seeking routine medical attention. I'd imagine consulting the fire department or a fire safety company would be a MUCH more appropriate venue for such concerns. I know, I know, crazy talk huh! ;)

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fire safety in the home is usually not my first concern when seeking routine medical attention. I'd imagine consulting the fire department or a fire safety company would be a MUCH more appropriate venue for such concerns. I know, I know, crazy talk huh! ;)

A redirection on both accounts, how very boring.
Fortunately he was at the pediatrician's office, not his own PCP for his own needs. I'd imagine consulting a pediatrician about the physical well-being and safety of a child is a great venue for such concerns. I know, I know, crazy talk.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fortunately he was at the pediatrician's office, not his own PCP for his own needs. I'd imagine consulting a pediatrician about the physical well-being and safety of a child is a great venue for such concerns. I know, I know, crazy talk.

Not really. If I take my kid to a Dr. for "wellness" advice, I'm paying for and want HEALTH advice. After all, I don't go to a gun range or NRA approved instructor for health advice! Expecting a medical doctor to be a subject matter expert on gun safety or fire safety just because they are a Dr. is idiotic. It's not a redirection, it's an expectation that they STAY IN THEIR LANE! :rolleyes2

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

Not really. If I take my kid to a Dr. for "wellness" advice, I'm paying for and want HEALTH advice. After all, I don't go to a gun range or NRA approved instructor for health advice! Expecting a medical doctor to be a subject matter expert on gun safety or fire safety just because they are a Dr. is idiotic. It's not a redirection, it's an expectation that they STAY IN THEIR LANE! :rolleyes2

It IS a safety issue, and it IS relevant to whether a home is a safe environment for a child, yes. Now, you can say all you want that they should then ask about electrical outlets and cords, pets in the home, if cabinet doors are locked for child safety, if medicines are locked up and out of a child's reach, if they watch too much TV, if household cleaners are stored safely, if stairs are carpeted, if there are safety railings, if there are baby gates, if electrical appliance cords are zip-tied and tucked away or secured, if anyone smokes in the home (this IS asked), if there is a fireplace, if there is a doggie door they could get stuck in, if toilet seats are secured so they can't play in the water, if plastic baggies or trash bags are locked away so they can't suffocate on them, if loose change is laying around they could swallow or choke on, if French fries or hotdogs are cut into small pieces before they are fed to the child, if small hard candies are laying around, plastic wrappers unsecured, if trash cans are locked to prevent access, if cat boxes are secure and inaccessible, if there is a stop/reverse trigger on garage doors, if door handles have protective covers, if doors themselves have top-mouted anti-closure devices, if there are fire/smoke/C02 detectors in the home, if there are safety ladders for window exit in a fire, if water heaters are set to below 120 degrees, if there is lead-based paint, if there is asbestos-based ceiling treatment, if there are objects that could fall off the wall or be pulled down, if the stove is child-friendly to prevent unauthorized activation, if there is alcohol in the home and if it is safely secured, if knives and forks are stored in a place that can't be reached, if your child has an alarm or tracking collar you can use to track them if they wander off, if you've had them fingerprinted for identification purposes, if you use a kid-leash while walking in public or in the mall....

You get the point (I hope).

It may be a question you find invasive, redundant or unnecessary, as would be many of the ones above, but the fact is, in-home safety IS a concern that is relevant for a medical professional, especially those doing "well child checks" where safety is one of the topics in evaluating a child's life and health (and potential for harm). Though guns may be a trigger-issue (no pun intended) for some, and it is a right for you to own, and the way the question is asked may make you feel like you are being interrogated, it IS a safety issue, which IS a concern of the healthcare field and since guns are a hot-button issue, that question makes the cut where many others may not. Answer it how you like, and if you think it's none of their business, then express those feelings. Otherwise realize that the majority of people asking these questions are doing so because it is a checkbox on a form, and like it or not, the insurance companies and EMR companies include that information for the sake of thoroughness (is that even a word??? lol).

I'm not saying those questionaires couldn't or wouldn't be used against you in some Orwellian future scenario, but man... just say, yes, no, I don't want to answer that, or find another place to go.

But please don't claim it's irrelevant. While firearms in the home may be your right, they are without a doubt a statistical safety issue that we should all take seriously from a responsibility standpoint. And let's face it... alot of people don't.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Really really, you're redirections all around. A pediatrician doesn't have to be an SME on fire or firearms to distribute pertinent advice where those topics intersect your child's health and development.
Your Ped doesn't have to be an electrician to recommend outlet covers, doesn't have to be a chemical engineer to recommend that you put up your bleach, doesn't have to be a remodeler to recommend that you don't leave the cords from your blinds hanging down near cribs, doesn't have to be a fireman to recommend that you remove/secure the hip-high knobs from your stove, doesn't have to be a chef to recommend that you cut up your toddler's hot dogs, doesn't have to manufacture shoes to recommend that you put shoes on your kid, and doesn't have to be an NRA and CLEET certified instructor to recommend that you don't leave loaded, unlocked guns where kids can get to them. I didn't see his post when replying, but tRidiot really covered all of that part pretty well.

Now after 5 kids I have been asked just about everything, but I did find that our Ped's office was set up to give a free gun lock pamphlet to anyone who said they had guns in their home. It had 5 or 6 addresses where you could get free gun locks around OKC and some more crap about where to learn about gun safety. No expertise required for that.

ETA: One thing I've noticed is that they ask the question a very specific way. They don't ask if you own guns, they just want to know if there are any guns in the house itself. If you just have a shotgun in the shed, it sounds like they put down "no."

Last edited:

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well...I'll be damned. It DOES take a village after all!

Before long...take your newborn child and turn him/her over to the 'village' to raise as they see fit.
You obviously have no idea how to keep them safe, what to feed them, how to train them, what to teach them,...etc.

Stupid Reason.jpg

jwv

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd say its none of their business.

A simple basic direct response works best. Leave it blank if you don't want to answer that question or any question. If they tell you you have to answer it or else you won't get to see the Dr. , well it is probably worth it not to. I always remember it's my money and I can go somewhere else.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A simple basic direct response works best. Leave it blank if you don't want to answer that question or any question. If they tell you you have to answer it or else you won't get to see the Dr. , well it is probably worth it not to. I always remember it's my money and I can go somewhere else.

You obviously havent tried to find a Good Doctor lately.
They Control , where ,when , how and how much, say something They disagree with and find your way OUT the door.
Of course your in Steedman, so you got plenty of good Doc's.. 8/

Latest posts

Top Bottom