Question for Red Castle members

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking about joining Red Castle. I would like to know some honest pros and cons about Red Castle. How does it compare in value to other places such as USSA and Oil Capital? What is your favorite and least favorite thing?

Thanks

HKP7M13

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings Loudshirt,
I am a member of Red Castle and Oil Capital but not USSA. I have shot many matches at Ussa and like the facilitys and people. each range has differant shooting strenthes and weaknesses. Oil capital has a very nice rifle bench rest area and a large skeet field. They have places to camp and fish. Red Castle has a trap field and two skeet fields, they also have a great sporting clays field and a wable trap fo the shot gunners. Red castle has a 600 yard rifle target range along with 100 and 200 yard bench rests. Red Castle at this time does not put on any IDPA or IPSC pistol shoots but they have a very large cowboy shooting area and following with lots of events. USSA has all kinds of pistol bays with steel and a 300 yard rifle berm. They do not if I am correct have any shotgun other than three gun events. I would recomend you go to each range and check out each one and depending on the type of shooting sports you want to do choose what you like.
I hope this helps
John

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a member at USSA and Red Castle.

Red Castle: It's a great range with just about everything a shooter could as for. The 600 yard and silhouette range are the only real positives for me at Red Castle. I shoot little if any skeet or trap anymore and primarily focus on competitive pistol shooting. The 22 silhouette range is a lot of fun for younger shooters. The pistol facilities are a bit lacking in my opinion. One thing I don't like about Red Castle is the careless members out there who come and tear everything up and then leave. That is not to say there aren't great people out there, but there are definitely a few bad apples. Being a member also gives you access to their indoor pistol range in Tulsa for a small fee.

USSA: Primarily geared around practical rifle and pistol. If you want to shoot competition and really hone your skills in this area, USSA is tough to beat with its setup. A big plus for me is that it is 10 minutes from my house. They have a 300 yard rifle range and a 360 degree rifle range that is also a lot of fun. However, the price is quite higher at $33 a month for the 3 year contract (at least that is what I am paying, not sure now). They have a controlled range with staff available at all times should the need arise.

Bottom line is if you are a casual shooter that just likes to have fun and shoot, I would select Red Castle based solely on cost. If you are a more 'serious' shooter focused on the practical disciplines, USSA is flat out awesome.

Jeff Hughes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much you shoot and where you live are factors.

Driving to Red Castle or Oil Capital is a long expensive drive from Tulsa compared to driving to USSA. Depending on where you live and how much you shoot, joining USSA and Tulsa Gun Club both might be cheaper than driving to the other two very often.

USSA also has Training Group, which is an awesome value if you train regularly...

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a Red Castle member but have never had the opportunity to visit the other ranges. I often take my kids out to RC and we have a good time plinking on the rimfire range. I also take advantage of the 100\200 yard benchrest range and I enjoy the 600 yd silhouette range as well. For me, it's a place I can take my kids and we all enjoy it. The price is great and the I've never had a problem with anyone out there other than the OU fan who gave me crap about my OSU badge lanyard. Grow up, dude.

For me, it is a bit of a drive out there but the Zink Ranch is a really nice place. I'm a content member.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bottom line at Red castle you can go shoot there about 360 days a year for 1 low fee which after the first years initiation fee is about 3 or 4 months of USSA's fees. I don't consider the cost difference in gas and its an enjoyable ride in the country.
from the IDL downtown Tulsa to Red Castle its 20 miles if you know the shortcut and 8 miles to Ussa so we're not talking much gas difference.

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as others have said just depends on what you want to shoot. dont forget about tgc. may not have a long range rifle but has everything else including a new 3d archery path. for cost red castle and tgc is by far the cheapest. alos the ussa website only talks about a 75 yard rifle range. interesting you all say there is a 300 yard range. good to know. love the amenities of oil cap. the club house right off the trap/skeet fields is great. havent shot anything else out there and havent been to red castle yet. reason im a member of tgc is the trap and skeet and its the closest. just north of the airport on 56th street.

smax

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you ever have a problem at Red Castle good luck getting anyone to answer a phone and if they do actually answer good luck getting help. I became a member last May and I am starting to regret it. I love the range, but my gate card has stopped working twice now and it is a nightmare to get anyone to help. It's a pretty good drive out there to get to the damn gate and not be able to get in, and have nobody that can fix the problem for you.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you ever have a problem at Red Castle good luck getting anyone to answer a phone and if they do actually answer good luck getting help. I became a member last May and I am starting to regret it. I love the range, but my gate card has stopped working twice now and it is a nightmare to get anyone to help. It's a pretty good drive out there to get to the damn gate and not be able to get in, and have nobody that can fix the problem for you.

Red Castle does not have full time office staff Phone numbers and email addresses are in monthly bulletin and on website or you can drop by indoor range thursday thru sunday

Latest posts

Top Bottom