Question for the LE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its been awhile, and i'm sure i've read it on here before but in the event of a traffic stop can an officer reach into your holster, grab your gun and disarm you? Then just casually toss your gun into your car seat.

en4cer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its been awhile, and i'm sure i've read it on here before but in the event of a traffic stop can an officer reach into your holster, grab your gun and disarm you? Then just casually toss your gun into your car seat.

I'm pretty sure your gonna have to be a "little" more specific.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never, NEVER disarm yourself if asked. Its not legal in the first place, and the dashcam will show you drawing on the officer. If your outside the vehicle, even though its not legal, but have been asked, I would have them remove it, with hands up. Thats just my opinion, and don't go to court quoting me.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, saturday afternoon I got stopped for a crakced windshield by an OHP K9 officer. I informed him I was carrying and he asked where my gun was. I told him 4 o'clock on my belt. He asked me to step out of the car and to turn around. I thought i was gonna get handcuffed but he lifted up my shirt, unholstered my gun and casually tossed it into my drivers side seat. Then had me go sit in his tahoe. All that for a warning.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, saturday afternoon I got stopped for a crakced windshield by an OHP K9 officer. I informed him I was carrying and he asked where my gun was. I told him 4 o'clock on my belt. He asked me to step out of the car and to turn around. I thought i was gonna get handcuffed but he lifted up my shirt, unholstered my gun and casually tossed it into my drivers side seat. Then had me go sit in his tahoe. All that for a warning.

I wouldn't get too upset about it...after all, you ended up with a warning; not a ticket, no one got physically harmed; the officer felt "safer", and so the only thing that got damaged was .... what? Just my two cents. As long as they don't mace me; club me on my noggin, arrest me, or otherwise harm me in some way; I can't see any reason to get torqued off. Could have been worse...:smack:

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too upset about it...after all, you ended up with a warning; not a ticket, no one got physically harmed; the officer felt "safer", and so the only thing that got damaged was .... what? Just my two cents. As long as they don't mace me; club me on my noggin, arrest me, or otherwise harm me in some way; I can't see any reason to get torqued off. Could have been worse...:smack:

Sure it could have been worse. He could have gotten one to the hip from a negligent discharge from his own carry weapon. But at least the officer felt "safer" at the risk of the citizen he stopped. Any unnecessary handling of a loaded gun is asking for trouble IMO.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can he? Yes, he can because he did and if you had tried to stop him the water gets muddy.

"Is he allowed to under the law?" is the real question I think you are asking. In most cases that I've seen, an officer's ability to disarm an individual for the duration of a traffic stop has been tested and upheld in court. How he accomplishes that is at his discretion...right or wrong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom