Question for the LE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still think the law is cloudy, BB's answers make perfect sense. BB, thank you for keeping us goobers straight!

You are right, sir, the law is cloudy. Lawmakers run around, willy nilly making laws that often are in direct contradiction to one another. There are court cases out there that support both sides of this issue.

The real question for every single one of us who values our constitutional rights is when and where is that fight the most effective for me. Now everyone here's mileage will vary of course, but I'd much rather hand some truly abusive cop his butt in court than have him mop the pavement with mine. And beleive me, if a cop ever really, truly violates my constitutional rights you won't be reading about it on OSA, you'll most likely be hearing about my settlement with his department (the terms of which the dept will not be able to disclose) and that officer's "resignation" on the evening news.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legally he can only do that if he has reasonable suspicion that you are armed and dangerous. The armed part is obvious... but for RS of dangerousness, he would need specific and articulable facts leading him to that conclusion.

You can always file a complaint, or hire a lawyer and file a 1983 suit.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow all this for a cracked windshield... I feel much safer in the streets now.

Yeah, imagine those jack booted thugs pulling people over for things like cracked windshields, or no license plates...crazy. They should be on the lookout for real criminals, like McVeigh and Berkowitz.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't blame the officer, look at it from his perspective. He doesn't know you, and while you did up front tell him you were carrying, again he doesn't know you. He wasn't butthurt or he would've given you a ticket. It was careless of him to toss it in there but if it would have gone off, it would have been the state paying for the damage. The legality of him disarming you, honestly doesn't matter. It's not right but it is what it is when he has the badge and you don't. Take it up with the DA if you don't like it but personally, I would just be glad I didn't get a ticket and go on about getting my windshield fixed.

AHHHH just for the heck of it....
And I Dont know him, or even if he is a real cop

.The legality of him disarming you, honestly doesn't matter.....REALLY????....Legality doesnt matter ,
then why the traffic stop in the first place

.I agree with BB... ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom