Random pics & chatter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friend is a beekeeper. He was out the other day and identified three hives in different hollow trees so he set out a bee trap to capture a swarm hopefully. He puts hives out every place he knows someone has a big garden growing.
They get free honey and pollinators.
He’s really working hard to spread the bees out.

View attachment 370091
We were not getting any bees, so the bee keeper recommended hanging a hummingbird feeder next to the trap as they like everything sweet.
It worked! Two days after setting out the HB feeder, the bee's starting coming around. Mostly drones right now, but the bee keeper told me that is normal. The drones check out the "new place" and report back some how.
If it's acceptable, they move in.
Kinda cool finding out all this info.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were not getting any bees, so the bee keeper recommended hanging a hummingbird feeder next to the trap as they like everything sweet.
It worked! Two days after setting out the HB feeder, the bee's starting coming around. Mostly drones right now, but the bee keeper told me that is normal. The drones check out the "new place" and report back some how.
If it's acceptable, they move in.
Kinda cool finding out all this info.
Drones are the eyes of the hive, thier heads are mostly eyes and can spot a queen from quite a distance. They are also the first bees to check you out when you get near to the hive. If you have access to lemongrass oil and/or old comb it can increase the effectiveness of the swarm trap.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tried my hand at some custom rod wrapping. Not perfect but On the drying rack.(2 kitchen chairs). Ha.
Never to old to try something new.

rods.jpg

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drones are the eyes of the hive, thier heads are mostly eyes and can spot a queen from quite a distance. They are also the first bees to check you out when you get near to the hive. If you have access to lemongrass oil and/or old comb it can increase the effectiveness of the swarm trap.
The bee keeper did exactly that. I checked it today and didn't see any activity but its been raining off and on all day with cool temps.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tried my hand at some custom rod wrapping. Not perfect but On the drying rack.(2 kitchen chairs). Ha.

View attachment 376525
That looks pretty darned good to me!
Do you have one of those rod lathes where you put the blank in and turn? A buddy bought one, built a rod for me and him and it's never been used again.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bee keeper did exactly that. I checked it today and didn't see any activity but its been raining off and on all day with cool temps.
They won't swarm until it is hot and sunny, bees sense barometric pressure and are actually pretty good weather predictors. May is the beginning of swarms season which typically runs through june then survivability tapers off.

"A swarm in may is worth a bale of hay
A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon
A swarm in July ain't worth a fly."

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They won't swarm until it is hot and sunny, bees sense barometric pressure and are actually pretty good weather predictors. May is the beginning of swarms season which typically runs through june then survivability tapers off.

"A swarm in may is worth a bale of hay
A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon
A swarm in July ain't worth a fly."
I'm sure your correct. The buddy putting out the trap sent me a pic of his liquid barometer overflowing yesterday. (which I didn't save)

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks pretty darned good to me!
Do you have one of those rod lathes where you put the blank in and turn? A buddy bought one, built a rod for me and him and it's never been used again.
No, Im don't do enough to warrant buying one of those just for my own stuff.

Now I will tell you my billhilly cornbread secret. I used a old metal Tonka toy car turned upside down with dual wheels and a 2x4 block with a v cut in it to support the other end. LOL

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.

View attachment 376525
My Dad and I build some beautiful 80# test rods we used for shark fishing when I was growing up. We specialized on the diamond wrap threading.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dad and I build some beautiful 80# test rods we used for shark fishing when I was growing up. We specialized on the diamond wrap threading.
Sounds awesome, the bigs stuff like that are beautifully made for sure.

I have caught a few small sharks before, leopard, sand and one thresher.

I fished with the 80-120 heavy stuff like that when I was younger until a blue marlin in Cabo broke me of ever wanting to try on the big stuff ever again. About 2 hrs into it dripping wet from sweat in the Hot Baja sun and arms so tired they felt like noodles i almost just wanted to cut the line and get unhitched from the damn thing. It was along about that point I realized that for me fishing was supposed to be fun and this quit being so and became more a battle of wills and hard work. I finally landed it, 320lb 11' 2" and promptly retired from bill, tuna or shark fishing. I have no desire to ever again fight a fish that outweighs me or have an International in my hands..

The first yellow one was my first attempt at a diamond. If you look close the last two brown threads are pulled away from the others and slipped. I should have cut them off before I expoxied. It's just an old solid glass Shakespeare bottle blank from the 70s I wanted to put an old skool Zepco 33 on so it will be ok..
Just practicing.
I have an old Heddon Pal Mark IV 6' with wood inserts in the handle I want to do next but I will have to tighten my butt up for that one as it is one rare bird and all class. Plus, I need some more thread colors.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom