Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought two 3” x 3” turning blanks of bocote wood for my gf, with the idea of turning them into cylindrical containers, but she came up with the idea of slicing the blanks into 1” thick squares and piecing / gluing them together in a sort of serving tray. The band saw I ordered is still on back order, so I had to wing it with squaring up the sides of the blanks before slicing them. Didn’t do a very good job of it, hence the slightly different sizes of the squares in the array, but my gf wanted the irregularities for the charm, so I didn’t reduce them any further to get them all the same size. I beveled the bottom side of the 11” x 11” array for easier handling, and applied Osmo Polyx high gloss finish. Thought you folks might like to see what an array of the end grain of bocote wood looks like...

BA9503F9-14A2-42BD-89E3-349862E27F1F.jpeg
2DD0EF75-B1D3-4C94-A842-D563780D4244.jpeg

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Todays project, a pop can mortar.

www.fototime.com_F49F2CAA68417B5_standard.jpg

This mortar replicates a Confederate 24 PDR Coehorn mortar.

www.fototime.com_04B31AC6AE44248_medium800.jpg

With 200 grains FG maximum charge it will toss a soda gun full of cement out about 150 yards and a round ball 200 yards.

I have two more tubes to build yet. One will be like this and the last one will replicate an 1841 8" seacoast mortar.
I want one of those!

No... Make it 2.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought two 3” x 3” turning blanks of bocote wood for my gf, with the idea of turning them into cylindrical containers, but she came up with the idea of slicing the blanks into 1” thick squares and piecing / gluing them together in a sort of serving tray. The band saw I ordered is still on back order, so I had to wing it with squaring up the sides of the blanks before slicing them. Didn’t do a very good job of it, hence the slightly different sizes of the squares in the array, but my gf wanted the irregularities for the charm, so I didn’t reduce them any further to get them all the same size. I beveled the bottom side of the 11” x 11” array for easier handling, and applied Osmo Polyx high gloss finish. Thought you folks might like to see what an array of the end grain of bocote wood looks like...

View attachment 197047 View attachment 197048

Man, that is some pretty stuff! Never heard of it!

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
before.JPG
I have a large garage and too many tools. I have a set of stairs going up to the attic that takes up too much floor space. I can get all four vehicles in there if I pull my Fiat in first and put it parallel with the stairs and then pull the wife's Subaru up to it on one side. On the other side I can just drive the Land Rovers in bumper to bumper. So I saw a picture on the web of stairs in a house that folded up sideways against the wall. I thought if I did that I could pull my Fiat or my 1972 Land Rover straight in and life would be easier. I worked on this for three days finishing up late last night to beat the storms coming in. Now if I can just find room for all the stuff that was under the stairs. I had just cleared out room on one wall for a lathe I ordered.View attachment 197761
after.JPG

Last edited:

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 197763 I have a large garage and too many tools. I have a set of stairs going up to the attic that takes up too much floor space. I can get all four vehicles in there if I pull my Fiat in first and put it parallel with the stairs and then pull the wife's Subaru up to it on one side. On the other side I can just drive the Land Rovers in bumper to bumper. So I saw a picture on the web of stairs in a house that folded up sideways against the wall. I thought if I did that I could pull my Fiat or my 1972 Land Rover straight in and life would be easier. I worked on this for three days finishing up late last night to beat the storms coming in. Now if I can just find room for all the stuff that was under the stairs. I had just cleared out room on one wall for a lathe I ordered.View attachment 197761 View attachment 197762

Brilliant!!

Are you gonna re-add the center support for the treads?

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brilliant!!

Are you gonna re-add the center support for the treads?

Not for now. The steps are made out of 1 1/8" plywood and don't feel like they flex under my 220 pds. If I needed more support I think I would just put a piece of light gauge 1" angle iron under each one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom