Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still have mine from the Alva Sale Barn when I worked their during college. It might be buried someplace but I know I still have it. I also have a Bullcane.
I hope you end up finding some use for it or them.

I neglected to mention something for those thinking of doing one, the sharp saw already mentioned, but as aid to prevent splintering, be sure to wrap some tape around where cutting, remove tape gently, and I used l Iow adhesion masking tape most times

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope you end up finding some use for it or them.

I neglected to mention something for those thinking of doing one, the sharp saw already mentioned, but as aid to prevent splintering, be sure to wrap some tape around where cutting, remove tape gently, and I used l Iow adhesion masking tape most times

Do either the top hat or straw boater hat confer a tactical advantage when it comes to cane fighting? 😉

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I few others I have made for self defense, the obviously more used one accompanied me when I lived in rough wintered Harlem and South Bronx, and served well by only standing and waiting when young toughs would scope me out and I scoped right back while giving them a good view of the stick and them deciding there were easier pickings elsewhere.

I formerly had a connection in the north UK who harvested the rough blackthorn and cured them in a heated barn for a year where I bought bulk lots and shaped the rootball and finished them, but US Customs siezed the last batch as they were unfinished, as if a pest would have been in them after a year of heat, and where, had they been sprayed with varnish, they would have been fine.
Blackthorn is a legend in light and strong, as any Irishman knows, and "loaded" sticks with ball drilled and lead poured in are common, but illegal in most US jurisdictions. It is not a perfect stick, the bark can loosen and flake off, but still a classic. I gravitated to crooked canes for convenience and utility as mentioned prior. These are about 38" long for reach, and about 1" diameter up high. They also have tapered brass tips hiding under the rubber tips, the rubber coming off for social interactions.

Blackthorn is quite expensive in straight larger diameters, it must be harvested from thickets in the winter, often the bark gnawed by deer, and every knot on the shaft represents a 2" long thorn. Its fruit, called sloes, gives us sloe gin.

PS- it common today to find finished blackthorn where bark painted a "classic" black, which can hide a multitude of sins including bore holes. The true classic black came not from paint, but from a peasant curing process where the blackthorn was cured by wrapping in manure and stuffed up the chimney for a year. The winter harvest while the sap is down and the lengthy slow curing are required to prevent cracks/checks, and almost no rootball is free of at least a small check or two filled with putty prior to finish.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I designed and then, son built. He needed a shop project for welding class.

Works as designed and is awesome, IMHO. Holds 4 Rods, adjustable and makes a useless and never be used ski rope mount useful.

1000000988.jpg

Last edited:

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I designed and then, son built. He needed a shop project for welding class.

Works as designed and is awesome, IMHO. Holds 4 Roda, adjustable and makes a useless and never be used ski rope mount useful.

View attachment 516067
Wow! Great work, and the adjustments are just killer. Could we have used THAT when I was kid with grandad and us running 4 lines off the Boston Whaler out in the Gulf! Howzit hold up to a 12ft hammerhead?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! Great work, and the adjustments are just killer. Could we have used THAT when I was kid with grandad and us running 4 lines off the Boston Whaler out in the Gulf! Howzit hold up to a 12ft hammerhead?
Post is 3" solid aluminum, says capable of pulling 4 skiers.
Crossbar is 2"x2" angle iron. Crossbar slides over post and has a receiver hitch pin to lock ot to post.
Rod holders are bolted through angle iron.
I would guess it would hold, if the boat does.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Post is 3" solid aluminum, says capable of pulling 4 skiers.
Crossbar is 2"x2" angle iron. Crossbar slides over post and has a receiver hitch pin to lock ot to post.
Rod holders are bolted through angle iron.
I would guess it would hold, if the boat does.
That is solid, alright...having had a boat dragged around a time or two, i think I'd trust it, going by description. Worst tow I ever had made me think I'd hooked a Russian sub, but 30mins of fighting later (if you call trying to drag a sub off the bottom "fighting"), showed it to be stingray that missed its calling as a manta.

Latest posts

Top Bottom