Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
always kinda wanted a good SD cane since i used to follow Newt Livesay back in the day.
They wear well with age, I still have my first one made back in the early 70s, wearing better than me to where having one also helps take a load off in daily getting around (which it also does for younger folk), not to mention during assorted injuries over the years. I first studied far eastern styles, then old Euro and Irish, and have had one around so much I feel half-dressed without one. They are suprising handy things to have for a lot of daily uses, and the more one is carried, the more it is used for a suprising number of things just out of reach or thankfully out of reach. Automatically used it to hold a door for a lady at an appt this morning where grabbing for door would have been a lunge.

mtngunr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have actually been thinking of doing that for a little security.
It LOOKS like something from a Marshal's office, where an old lock to one side, and even non-marring plastic chain painted to appear old and draped across front would fit right in, even if security not an issue.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very interesting. So here is my throw in.

My Mother in Law has been in a power chair for as long as I have known her and while you can have a raised height toilet put in an apartment most places require them to be left when you move out. Add to that needing a little extra wiggle room for shifting and I came up with this.

View attachment 55380 View attachment 55381 View attachment 55382 View attachment 55383

Everything is 3/4 plywood except for the blocks on the front rim. The block on the back of the rim is hollow and allows carriage bolts to pass through to the tank which is the only point of attachment. Weight is spread evenly to the bowl and box legs depending on where the user is situated and allows her to transfer from her chair which is brought in at a 90 degree angle from the toilet and shift over as she needs with a minimal gap. She has used this for over seven years and it has been in use in three different states with only minor modifications. Needless to say it has been well used and is much more sturdy and stable than some of the aluminium and plastic risers while adding extra space for positioning.
Know this is an old post, but it seems to be a recurring problem. I don't have photos, but my grandma needed an elevated toilet seat when I was a kid. Grandpa put a spacer under the toilet carved out of a 2x12 about 18 or 20 inches long. Painted with a white oil-based paint and with wax rings for the drain top and bottom. Grandma was still using that elevated toilet when I left home in 1973. Probably 14-15 years. Never loosened up or rocked in that time.

This was back when a 2x12 was 2" thick, and 12" wide, which ain't so today, but you could stack a few of the modern sort...

Latest posts

Top Bottom