WD40...solvent or lubricant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always hear people either love it or hate it (I know not to use for guns). But I have so many different cans of spray lube, garage door lube, silicone lube, penetrant oil, chain lube, etc on hand that I began to wonder if this stuff really can do most things well enough not to have to buy so many others?

For example, can you lube a bike or motorcycle chain with it or are you better off using some dedicated "chain lube". I already use WD40 for the following:

- protect metal parts, such as rust spots on trailers that are stored outside to keep them from getting worse.
- in the truck as a single can-o-lube for whatever I need while at the boat ramp, or fixing a car somewhere, etc.
- used it today to remove stubborn duck tape mess from a car door that had the window taped shut until I could replace the regulator
- as a general lube when I am out of or too lazy to find the dedicated stuff for bike chains and door hinges, etc.

But I decided today when using it that I would ask the board if it is a solvent then how it is also a good lubricant, because that seems counterintuitive to use one or the other for certain tasks.

I also wanted to just generally ask what all people use it for and why, and if anyone uses it as their only can-o-lube in the shop? Those that know me best on here know I am always looking for a simple solution to fit in a nice little logical box so it leads to questions like this :). Even other brands of lube say the same stuff on their cans as WD40 says..."lubricant, protector, penetrant, etc..." so if original WD40 can't be the do-all, then is there something that can?

I noticed that WD40 is now in the marketing game with a bunch of different specifically marked formulas but I have no idea if they are just the same stuff in a different can.
You cannot get the original WD-40, anymore. It was fish oil in STODDARD (#%@& SLEPCHEK) solvent. Now(as of the last time I looked at an SDS) it's light machine oil and solvent. If you shake it well before spraying, it should leave a thin coat of oil after the solvent evaporates. But it may not be an even coat.

I buy it in gallons, and use it for a lot of things, including displacing water. For lightly rusted parts, I spray it repeatedly, and try to separate the parts. For badly rusted parts, I use PB Blaster. I use it to clean parts for inspection a lot. If I decide to chemically or electrlytically remove rust, I use brake cleaner to remove the oily film.

I Don't use it for my arthritis!
:angry3:

There are better chemicals, for several of the things I use WD-40 for, but most of them are way expensive, and I'm a cheap bastrich. YMMV!

Latest posts

Top Bottom