Range of a crossbow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this can very a great deal between crossbows and shooters, but if someone is proficient and has good equipment, what would be the max range of a crossbow?

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for hunting? no more than a compound verticle bow....
if a deer can jump the string at 20 yards on a super quit compound shooting 300fps then what do u think they will do to a loud xbow shooting 320fps.... little hint the 20fps difference is 7 millionths of a sec at 20 yards.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really depends on the bow. Some bows shoot at over 350 fps. Personally, I have a wicked ridge warrior shooting 285 fps and the max range I would try to shoot game is at 40 yards. I can get really tight groups at 40 yards. I do have an upgraded hawke scope, which makes it a lot easier than a red dot type sight.

50 yards is doable, but not suggested, because they lose a lot of energy past 40 yards. Some of the higher crossbows that go on AR's guys claim they can get tight groups at 70 yards. That may be true, but those bows start at $1,500.

Reaction score
Yeah, it depends on which bow and which crossbow you are comparing. Most crossbows use short bolts with poorer ballistic coefficients than bow-arrows, that slow down quickly when they start running out of steam. But the PSE Tac-15, for example, uses a much longer bolt (around 26"), which has *getting close to* the BC of a bow-arrow, but not quite - so it's range will be further. Plus this xbow has around 400 fps of speed (supposedly) *with* that heavy & long arrow! So it's range will be much greater than most x-bows.

It's probably safe to say that for most people, on average, a crossbow WILL give them at least some increased practical range.

I had hopes that my tac-15 xbow would increase my practical range from about 30 yards to about 60 or 70 yards, but the reality is, after shooting it, looks like it's only gonna increase my range to around 50 yards, I think, and still stay consistently in a tight deer kill zone (say, an 8" circle). Maybe with practice & tuning, it will do 70 or more - we'll see. You've got to look both at accuracy AND *oomph* at range (enough energy for pass-through penetration). Both are helped by velocity though, and most modern xbows do a little better on average than most V-bows with vels, BUT they are at the same time hindered by the poorer-BC short bolts, which works against them a *lot more* at looong ranges, than at medium ranges.

For example, if I was shooting a deer at 20 yards, I can hit about the same with either. But at 50 yards, I'd probably pick the crossbow, all other things being equal. The extra velocity of the Xbow is at that distance still more important than the relatively-poorer BC, for practical accuracy, and they will both have plenty of oomph/penetration. BUT, at 80 yards, if I had to shoot a deer to survive, all other things being equal, I'd probably revert back and pick the regular V-bow with a long, skinny 30 or 31" arrow - at that long distance, the better BC and thus vel (and SD mind you) of the arrow will maintain the energy to still penetrate like a madman, whereas the xbow bolt is like a .45 acp bullet, and will have slowed down much slower than the arrow, and won't offer good penetration, even if it started off going 100 fps faster.

if a deer can jump the string at 20 yards on a super quit compound shooting 300fps then what do u think they will do to a loud xbow shooting 320fps.... little hint the 20fps difference is 7 millionths of a sec at 20 yards.

Yes, sir - correct, it won't make a difference, and quieter is always better (which generally favors a V-bow). Even a 400 fps xbow is still 650 fps short of the speed of sound, and won't help with jumping the string.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ALLOUT is correct. Shooting tight groups at 50, 70, even 100 yards is fine on the target range. In a hunting situation, too many factors come into play. Super fast bows, in the 300+ fps range are great for miscalculating range. But most are super noisy. And deer have to be the most high strung animals on the planet. And there isn't a bow (crossbow or otherwise) that can send a projectile faster than the speed of sound.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ALLOUT is correct. Shooting tight groups at 50, 70, even 100 yards is fine on the target range. In a hunting situation, too many factors come into play. Super fast bows, in the 300+ fps range are great for miscalculating range. But most are super noisy. And deer have to be the most high strung animals on the planet. And there isn't a bow (crossbow or otherwise) that can send a projectile faster than the speed of sound.

Thats kind of my point... people get :hypnotize: on crossbows and think they can do so much but in all reality the further out u go the more of a chance u have of making a bad shot due to the noise. Just cause u can hold a 3 inch group at 60yards doesnt mean that deer is going to be standing in that exact spot by the time that arrown gets there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats kind of my point... people get :hypnotize: on crossbows and think they can do so much but in all reality the further out u go the more of a chance u have of making a bad shot due to the noise. Just cause u can hold a 3 inch group at 60yards doesnt mean that deer is going to be standing in that exact spot by the time that arrown gets there.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this.
There are certainly differences in the target range and actual hunting conditions.
Shoot, the Xbow is only 2000 year old technology. How can we expect it to outdo the compound?:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom