Range of a crossbow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A bipod does me no good in a tree stand or tripod or any kind of portable stand one might use on public land

Why not? Works fine for me. Granted, the legs have to get lodged into a space where the toes of the bipod get partially 'lodged' into the 'grill' of the floor of the stand so that it's stable, but it's certainly doable. Try it; you'll like it.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my ladder stands, tree stands, and tripod with no rail, there is nothing but air in front of my feet. Even if I had a bipod long enough to reach to my feet when leaning out to shoot at a downward angle it would be very awkward positioning it, expecially if I had to change angle due to the animal changing its postion down or up a trail. Again, great when you have a known fixed position in a stand designed for a rest and with a predetermined location of a still target. But in a typical portable and elevated stand like most use on public land I still can't picture how a bipod will work with any of them.

Reaction score
Well SJ, I think - sure there are times when a deer walks near or under and you have to convolute yourself a bit - in those instances, it won't help. But you DO position your stand in such a way as to be where you think the game will walk by "over there" or "over there" or "over there" at 10, 20, 30 yards, straight out or a bit to the left (if you're right-handed). In those cases - the majority - when the game does what you expect them to do, the bipod does work. Now if there's literally no flooring whatsoever in front of your feet, then no I guess it won't work then either. But in most stands I've used, there's a fair amount in front, and to the left and right of your feet, to put your bipod ends onto. But then again, I prefer ladder 'buddy stands' with lots of room in them. I don't ever do climbers or strap-ons anymore. Tripod or ladder only for me now, and only ones with large platforms and a rail draped with burlap camo to help keep me inside if I fall asleep. Might take a bigger stand to work, but I'm tellin ya, xbow or rifle will work the same, and a rifle works with bipod in a stand, in the vast majority of situations, since you position the stand in such a way that the shot will be "out there", not underneath you or behind you. But granted, it can happen where the game does the unexpected and comes in through some thick stuff you wouldn't think that they would. And I'll also grant that in that event, you can potentially be screwed, because as you try to re-position, without the bipod, it can potentially fall and clank on your rail or the ground or whatever. So there's a definitely downside to using one - you do kinda lock yourself in to "just this straight ahead shot" - unless you hear them coming in time to re-position without making noise or movement. So you make a good point. Anyway, you might wanna try to see if you like it. ?? :)

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Large buddy stands and ladder stands I would consider more permanent, such as on private land. But in the context I was talking about "public" they are just too heavy to carry out for a single hunt and for a weekend in most cases. On private land I do have larger permanent stands for bowhunting that I could adapt, but they are both in the same general area as my rifle stands. It is much easier to set up a secondary feeder during bow season that is within 40 yards of the rifle stand and just shoot from the shooting bench than to try and adapt my bow stand for the crossbow. From my two big fixed iron ladder stands I have a 20 yard shot on average, it is much easier for me to just use the bow than to make special adjustments for a crossbow rest. I actually have a greater than 180 degree field of shooting. With my bow I can turn, lean out, and bend at the waist and cover a very large area around my stand. If not in a standing position on those permanent ladder stands my feet are actaully on one of the ladder rungs. They are strictly bow stands and not set up for rifle hunting. I have a tower box blind for that. My other stands for public hunting are "portable" and very small. Of my two tripods that are set up permanent. One has a removable rail so I can convert it to bowhunting, but with the rail in place it is two high to line up the crossbow on my shoulder for a 20 yard give or take shot. My other tripod is a new to me old tripod I picked up this summer and is very tall. It has no rail and not much for foot room. It is for bowhunting. I do plan to use the crossbow from it some days for kicks, but it will have to come from my lap to my shoulder to shoot with no rest.

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My longest shot in the past two years was 40 yards - the doe was standing broadside looking at me and I was on the ground.

As for steadying a shot from a tree stand, I don't have a rail, I cross my left leg over the right and put my left elbow on my left knee.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My longest shot in the past two years was 40 yards - the doe was standing broadside looking at me and I was on the ground.

As for steadying a shot from a tree stand, I don't have a rail, I cross my left leg over the right and put my left elbow on my left knee.

that would work great. My stands have a rail....mostly to rest my head on while taking a nap......:D I don't think I still have it, but had a pic with me asleep in my ladder stand with a padded rail asleep with a decent, but not shooter buck in front of me.:cry3: Never saw it again.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my pops can nail a group tight enough to shave the fletchings off of the other bolts with his Excalibur crossbow at 65 yards to 75 yards easy..... But he says all the time he would never risk a shot over 35 yards at a deer for fear of just wounding it... his usual shot is in the 25yard range....

Latest posts

Top Bottom