Ready to collect mo data on 6.5 creedmoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just started prepping brass and measuring things with my sized cases in 6.5 Creedmoor.
I am using Hornady ELD bullets 123 gr and Hornady dies.

Then FLS die I ran as is after cleaning it and it left some rings on my cases.
I will polish it with a bore mop and some very fine machine glaze after this first round of testing.

The bullet seater die is up next.
Come on Hornady these are your bullets and your dies!!!!
FAIL on the bullet seating stem on Hornady.
I had to drill the seating stem deeper as it contacted on the plastic tip of the bullet to the point of flattening it and making the bullet OAL shorter by just inserting the loose bullet (projectile) into the stem by hand and applying a little pressure to see if it was going to bottom out on the tip.
Sure enough did ..I have been there before.

Little things add up to a tick more accuracy. You do not want to seat off the tip of most Rifle bullets we know that.

Notice how I said "most" :)
Back to the bench.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of my reloading in this caliber has been resized with a Forster FL die. After I think I've got everything I can get then I'll try a neck die. Also, I think I mentioned it at the beginning of the thread but I will say again that I'm not crimping either. I did already buy a Lee FCD but I'm gonna go without crimp first.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep I do not crimp either I tried crimping and found No accuracy there.
Where crimping may show better accuracy is if you have mixed cases with different ID and OD in the neck.
Never tested that theory. just sounds right in my head :)

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
... and Hornady dies.

Come on Hornady these are your bullets and your dies!!!!
FAIL on the bullet seating stem on Hornady.
I had to drill the seating stem deeper as it contacted on the plastic tip of the bullet to the point of flattening it and making the bullet OAL shorter by just inserting the loose bullet (projectile) into the stem by hand and applying a little pressure to see if it was going to bottom out on the tip.
Sure enough did ..I have been there before.

Little things add up to a tick more accuracy. You do not want to seat off the tip of most Rifle bullets we know that.

Hornady "New Dimension" dies? I won't use them. Nothing but trouble.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every hornady die set ive bought since the eldm/x was introduced has had both seating stems included. 20+ "new dimension" hornady die sets here and no issues. My 6x45 die set only had one stem, i bought a second and modified to fit the 95gr sst perfectly, no more ring when seating on top of 27.5gr of h4895.

Sent from my WIENER using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to look Hornady custom grade 2 die set # 546289 is my die set.
It contacts the bullet in a pretty wide area and no sticking .
This Creedmoor bullet 123gr Hornady is not even touching powder in the cases at 44.5gr H4350.
Max load in some literature.
IMR 4064 is way down the case at max load.
Sometimes that is fine and other times you get odd groups at different temps.

I have a few loaded up and will test soon.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every hornady die set ive bought since the eldm/x was introduced has had both seating stems included. 20+ "new dimension" hornady die sets here and no issues. My 6x45 die set only had one stem, i bought a second and modified to fit the 95gr sst perfectly, no more ring when seating on top of 27.5gr of h4895.

I've had trouble with their product (bullets and brass), their tooling (reloading dies), and customer service (outright lied to me). Their old dies were fine. Never liked their original bullets, have not bought anything in the ELDM/X category. I was done with them before that. There are too many other good, trustworthy products out there. YMMV.

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of my die set boxes have "new dimension custom grade" on the box. Same die sets, same zip spindle (that everyones been crying over since they came out), new name. The hornady match grades that i have, i dont even have the decapping pin in.

Double check under that piece of foam in the corner and see if theres another stem in there.
4e63115ac0ec17920d2c11104a7ba597.jpg
ce6ea4bde856735323cc8bcd1da8dab0.jpg

Lonewatie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had trouble with their product (bullets and brass), their tooling (reloading dies), and customer service (outright lied to me). Their old dies were fine. Never liked their original bullets, have not bought anything in the ELDM/X category. I was done with them before that. There are too many other good, trustworthy products out there. YMMV.
Ive used all kinds of hornady stuff, only ever had 1 issue with customer service, they refused to sell me a gear to fix an inherited trio after they sent me the wrong gear for free. I sent the part back with a letter and got every gear the machine takes. My sonic cleaner started melting the plastic around the top 2 years after the warranty was up, i sent it in and got a new one free. Excellent customer service.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive used all kinds of hornady stuff, only ever had 1 issue with customer service, they refused to sell me a gear to fix an inherited trio after they sent me the wrong gear for free. I sent the part back with a letter and got every gear the machine takes. My sonic cleaner started melting the plastic around the top 2 years after the warranty was up, i sent it in and got a new one free. Excellent customer service.

I'm proud for you. When I am outright lied to, I pretty much write you off. I'm done with them. Period.

Latest posts

Top Bottom