Real Mexican Restaurants in OKC...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Blood Sausage thread got me to thinking, then Danny Tanner mentioned he'd like to try lengua tacos...so here's my thread.

In Okc., I have found three real and authentic Mexican restaurants that I continue to go back to over and over. I'm not saying that there aren't others and I have visited quite a few, but these three are my top of the list.

These two are grocery stores (even though they're small) and delis..if you call them that.

They have baked/ bakery items, food, groceries and fresh cut meat. I only go for the deli style food...lengua, buche, barbacoa, menudo, etc.

1st. El Rodeo...between SW May and Portland on the South side of the road. Don't let the "smells", section 8 housing, and hoopdie cars scare you. The store is clean and the food is great. My choice every time I go here..lengua and buche tacos with a bowl of menudo, along with a cold Mexican pepsi.

2nd. Michoacana..yep, the same ones in Texas...especially Houston, where they were founded. You have to tell the cashier what you want, pay for it, then go back to the deli and order it. Great food..don't let the Southsiders scare you..man-up. On Sw29th between Blackwelder and Western.

3rd. Tamales...trust me this place sells out..get a business card from them, call and place an order. Holiday's. .order a week ahead of when you want them. Be careful, the cheese/caso ones have cheese and peppers...they are spicy. I tried to get them to make some cheese tamales without the peppers for my wife..they didn't understand..so she picked them out. Tamales El Patio..on SW29th between May and Portland on the North side of the road.

There are several Buy-For-Less grocery stores on the South side that are also a Super Mercado with real deli Mexican food.

There are several that I haven't mentioned only because I feel the three I listed were better.

Post up your authentic Mexican food places...come on..Chelino's doesn't count. Well, one does, the one on South Robinson. You can eat your food and enjoy the "soiled dove"show. You might see the video vigilanty video taping the cars and "johns"requesting services from the "soiled doves"...who knows???

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ditto on the Carnitas Michoacan. There is one in edmond @ Edmond rd and fretz. Casa Perico isn't bad either. 122nd and Penn. No tex mex there, but not truly authentic either.

Thanks for the heads up on the tamale joint. I haven't had a decent tamale since I went to Denver.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
El asadero it's on western and about sw 23 on west side of western. Good stuff. Love to go eat there and get a couple dozen tamales to go. I like the green spicy but delicious. Good menudo also only have it on weekends.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought some legit red chile tamales from a guy at the capitol hill Bank of America once. Guy was from Albuquerque, so we chatted about the motherland for a while. Wish I would have got his info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom