Real Mexican Restaurants in OKC...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a tamale vendor that stops by Freedom Cycles on south Robinson. Absolutely delicious, but I'm clueless where he gets them. Ate a half dozen and took off back to Chickasha. Had to stop at Western and 240 to guzzle water. A bit hotter than I first thought.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't remember the name of the place--Northwest corner of SW 10th and Rockwell. It's in the strip that faces Rockwell, and it is inexpensive, but great. Been there a couple of times. Takes a better man than me to eat all of one their burritos. Far from fancy, but the real deal.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember..I'm not talking about Tex-Mex, or New Mexico style food...they contain lots of spice, sometimes waaaay to much.

True, authentic, great tasting food....that's all I want.

The three things I ask myself as I walk into an authentic Mexican restaurant.

1. Do they serve Buche, Birria (goat), and Lengua tacos?

2. Do they serve Barbacoa and Menudo (Posole..I don't like) every day or on a regular basis?

3. Do they offer spices/seasoning (liquid), and jalapeños on the side?

If I say yes to these three..I'm ready to try it!!! Remember..true Mexican food is flavorful, NOT over spiced. Every place I've ever eaten at in Mexico, Houston and OKC (that was real Mexican food) the condiments..cilantro, onions, ,jalapenos, oregeno, then hot sauce are a side item to be added by the person.

S.W. food..especially New Mexico...watch out...there are some spices in those dishes. Especially the green and red chili stew!!! When I first started going to Albuquerque and Santa Fe, I had to learn real quick the difference between any food that was labeled red or green ...there is a difference!!

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know the name but it is on 17th and S. Central. Very small, menu is in Spanish. Danny they have menudo, can't tll you if it's good or not because I don't like it. I went in there on a Sunday and saw everyone eating a bowl of soup, so I said I'll have what their having. The broth was ok and I like Hominy, but the pieces meat that looked like cat tongue I didn't care for. When my Buddy and I went back about a week later, she told me I was known as the crazy Gringo that eats menudo

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Surjimmy, I've been there.. but its been awhile. There use to be a...ummmm..motorcycle club North of where you're talking about. Well, let's just say OCPD..put them out of business!!

Edit.. funny how the boat houses and rowing clubs are on the North end of Central. Cross over the river while still on Cental..heading South, about S.E.15th and it turns into a whole other world.

Latest posts

Top Bottom