Real Mexican Restaurants in OKC...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't remember the name of the place--Northwest corner of SW 10th and Rockwell. It's in the strip that faces Rockwell, and it is inexpensive, but great. Been there a couple of times. Takes a better man than me to eat all of one their burritos. Far from fancy, but the real deal.

Taqueria La Original is the name, 1143 N Rockwell

Was told about this place today http://greenchilekitchen.com/gckrt66/

supposed to be the good stuff...

in Yukon on 66

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Green Chili Kitchen sucks. It's good enough to get everyone in there once but you wont be going back. I live out there and have given it three chances. Bad service, small portions and way too expensive for mexican food.

Coz

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mexican food is a statement that is painted with a really wide brush because it all depends on what part of Mexico on how the food is, just like any other country. I have found that when most people talk about Mexican food they really mean northern Mexican peasant food or tourist trap food like crispy tacos.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like Mexican food and wanted to try menudo for the first time, right next to Outdoor America is mexican place that used to be an old Sonic I believe.

I ordered a bowl and the stuff was terrible, I got a couple bites down then paid my bill and walked out.

I'm still looking for a really good bowl of menudo.

Last edited:

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still looking for a really good 2nd bowl of menudo.

Menudo must be an acquired taste.

I've eaten stuff from all over the world (some that would would make your typical 'Murican - run screaming to the nearest toilet to pray to the sewer gods if they knew what it was) and there's not much that I didn't like. But menudo is one on the don't like list. Gut soup is what I call it. I've tried it twice. Once at a place in Reynosa back in the late 90's and once at the little Mexican place that used to be on SE 44th and Sunnylane. Both tasted like sh*t - really - I guess the tripe used hadn't been processed correctly.

Now, I've eaten grub worms in Africa, blood sausage in Peru, chicken feet stew in Ecuador, hagis (sp?) in England, fried grasshopper, monkey brains in Ghana, baluts (sp?), kimchee (that's one I really don't understand why some folks gag on) etc etc. You name it and I've probably at least tried it. On the aforementioned list the only thing that comes close to being on my won't eat list is the blood sausage in Peru. All the rest quite tasty actually (including the baluts but only if drunk - can't eat those sober).

But menudo - nope - not going there again.

Then again - okra is one of those things that has convinced me that GOD can make mistakes and how many Okies would not only disagree with that but would vehemently disagree. So maybe menudo is worth another try.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Green Chili Kitchen sucks. It's good enough to get everyone in there once but you wont be going back. I live out there and have given it three chances. Bad service, small portions and way too expensive for mexican food. Coz
Agreed its not very good. Taco bueno is better than that overpriced crap. I'd rather drive to kingfisher can't remember the name but is on the east side of Beckmann ford and it's really good food.

Latest posts

Top Bottom