reccomended begainer event?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys I have thought about getting into some sort of competing. I don't have a ton of cash But I think I may could swing something every few months. What is a good event to start competing in with a pistol?

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been shooting comptetively for right at a year and more recently started shooting evrything I can get to here in OKC and Tulsa. So far the people and events at everything I have been to have been outstanding! I would agree that the steel challenge matches mentioned above would be a great place to start. Minimal equipment and startup cost and pretty straight forward and lots of fun. It took me a long time to go to my first match, but I've been hooked ever since.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steel challenge is a good place to start and build confidence. You can even run a rimfire pistol on the cheap. Progress to Pro-Am, IDPA and USPSA and you'll be in good shape.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both IDPA and Steel Challenge are good places to start. Steel Challenge is basically stand and shoot, with virtually no movement. Rimfire (Iron or Open) in Steel Challenge does not require even a holster; the gun starts in hand, which even further makes it beginner friendly.

That said, some individuals jump straight into USPSA and do well. Wherever you start, you can expect to have fun safely.

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+Whatever on Steel Challenge. The rules are ridiculously simple, and the shots are tight enough that they make you learn good trigger control which is the first thing you want to learn if you're going to shoot other competitions.

USSA has their Steel Challenge on the 1st Sunday of every month(North Tulsa), and Oil Capital has there on the 4th Sunday if I remember correctly. If I'm wrong about Oil Capital I'm sure Buzzdraw can give us the correct day. Either match would be an awesome first match. If the idea of running around and shooting appeals to you, shoot a USPSA match next.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
H&H has a small scale and laid back match this Sunday night. Be there at about 5:30 and no latter than 6:00. Bring about 100 rounds for the 4 stages. ID be happy to teach you the basics.

Check that I just looked where your at. Hit the steel challenge matches at oil capital or USSA. There is a really fun ProAm match next Saturday at USSA with a shotgun side match. See you there.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sounds good, I may show up at one of the steel challenges at ussa, How much does it cost to enter? what is the prize? just curious I don't expect to be winning it. =]

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most local matches are $10-20 to shoot. The only prizes are bragging rights. If you want to win stuff which is very possible especially when they do random draw prizes you gotta come out to the larger regional or national matches like the big ProAm that Phil Strader puts on at USSA in July or the IDPA nationals at USSA or the TBD sectional 3 gun match we will have later in the year at OKC gun club. Expect to pay $100-200 for entry fees for the big matches though.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+Whatever on Steel Challenge. The rules are ridiculously simple, and the shots are tight enough that they make you learn good trigger control which is the first thing you want to learn if you're going to shoot other competitions.

. . . Oil Capital has their Steel Challenge on the 4th Sunday if I remember correctly. If I'm wrong about Oil Capital I'm sure Buzzdraw can give us the correct day.

Oil Capital's Steel Challenge has moved to the 3rd Saturday, due to shooter requests.

Latest posts

Top Bottom