Recommendation on building private use gun range needed, please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castleeleven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking of finding a land out of city limit so that I can build a private gun range for pistol and CQB AR practice. This is not for a club or commercial use. Only for personal and a few close friends use only. Which area will allow to build this kind of gun range? Would OKC, Edmond, Guthrie, Arcadia, Piedmont area farm land allow this to be built ?How many acres of land needed minimum to get good sound and safety consideration. Any opinion and help please feel free to post. Thanks.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something you may not think about, and it will vary depending on the county you build in, if you build a structure with a closed roof, it CAN, and most likely will, increase the taxes, and it can, even significantly.

The land the airsoft group I was apart of used was privately owned by a founders friend. We could not build any roofed structures because it would drastically increase the taxes on his land. This was NE of Harrah area.

Amount of land would probably vary depending upon building construction materials, and size you are wanting to build. I wouldn't think anything less than 4-5 acres though.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am thinking of finding a land out of city limit so that I can build a private gun range for pistol and CQB AR practice. This is not for a club or commercial use. Only for personal and a few close friends use only. Which area will allow to build this kind of gun range? Would OKC, Edmond, Guthrie, Arcadia, Piedmont area farm land allow this to be built ?How many acres of land needed minimum to get good sound and safety consideration. Any opinion and help please feel free to post. Thanks.

I have been thinking about the same thing in the Broken Arrow area. I am just not happy with the ranges in the BA/Tulsa area and I don't shoot as much any more because of it. I wonder if the sheriffs department would be the one to ask? Id sure hate to buy a place, and put a bunch of money into building a private range only to have them tell me I was breaking some law or something. If you are outside of the city limits, and not within so many feet of a road and so many feet from a house, on your own land, can anyone tell you that you can't shoot? Thats what I would be most interested in knowing and I am sure the sheriffs department would tell you. Plus it would be good for those guys to know you before they drive by and hear what sounds like WW3 going on.

castleeleven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Edmond land is expensive. Guthrie area may be doable. So need to talk to Guthrie police and Logan county sheriff. Arcadia area is Oklahoma county sheriff too?, how about Piedmont area or Jones?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would look for unincorporated land; the counties don't (generally) have building codes or zoning ordinances, which simplifies matters greatly for this purpose. Unfortunately, it also means you'll likely be looking a fair distance away from the OKC area; back in the '60s (IIRC), OKC went on an annexation spree, and several cities (like Norman) did the same to avoid becoming land-locked by them.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know one guy is but I can't remember his name or what area he lives in....Only I think he has a Cartman avatar. Anyways, my wife is a realtor in the Tulsa area and I wouldn't rely on your realtor to check whether or not you can use your property for a private gun range. Cool that you are serious enough about it to be hiring a buyers agent though. I wish I was to that point.

Latest posts

Top Bottom