Recommendation on building private use gun range needed, please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check with the county, but I BELIEVE minimum is 3 acres, but agree 20 would be a lot better. As long as you are not using it commercially, there should be no problems, but building structures will affect your taxes. My range is on about 3 acres, but I have 160 acres and the closest neighbor is a mile away and it's 6 miles to town.

In unincorporated county, non commercial; a shooting range is no different than just shooting cans or hunting; IMHO. Your biggest restriction will be price per acre.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check with the county, but I BELIEVE minimum is 3 acres, but agree 20 would be a lot better. As long as you are not using it commercially, there should be no problems, but building structures will affect your taxes. My range is on about 3 acres, but I have 160 acres and the closest neighbor is a mile away and it's 6 miles to town.

In unincorporated county, non commercial; a shooting range is no different than just shooting cans or hunting; IMHO. Your biggest restriction will be price per acre.

The only state law regarding shooting ranges is Title 63, Chapter 30, Section 709.2. Basically it says the noise cannot exceed 150 decibels at the property line.

Good info for the future. Thanks.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get away from the metro. Edmond PD may end up losing their range because the peeps who built their houses behind the range are complaining. Arcadia is out, too. I know of one guy, who used to be on the board, that did $60k of dirt work only to find out that he couldn't build. Something about a property line or boundary line.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get away from the metro. Edmond PD may end up losing their range because the peeps who built their houses behind the range are complaining. Arcadia is out, too. I know of one guy, who used to be on the board, that did $60k of dirt work only to find out that he couldn't build. Something about a property line or boundary line.

Encroaching developments shut down the range at Ponca City after 45 years in the same location.

We had enough money in the till to put a down payment on some land where we now have a 4 mile drop out area.

Currently have 4 pistol bays, a 50 yd rifle/pistol bay, 100 yd range, and recently completed dirt work on a 300 yd range. We still have to do the finish work on the 300 after the dozers have left.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am personal friends with a gentleman who OWNED an outdoor range between Collinsville and Oologah. Neighbors took him to court for noise and such after he had the range open for 1.5 yrs. It sat on 280 acres. He spent $40,000+ on it. It had bathrooms, snack shack, and shooting ranges out to 300. He was building a new 500yd range when this hit. He brought followed all NRA and US Outdoor Shooting recommendations in construction.
Neighbors took him to district court and got it closed permanently.
One other thing, check on insurance. He was only able to find 2 companies in the US that insured ranges. IT WAS EXPENSIVE.

If you want the name and phone number of this person PM me and Ill give it to you.

castleeleven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am personal friends with a gentleman who OWNED an outdoor range between Collinsville and Oologah. Neighbors took him to court for noise and such after he had the range open for 1.5 yrs. It sat on 280 acres. He spent $40,000+ on it. It had bathrooms, snack shack, and shooting ranges out to 300. He was building a new 500yd range when this hit. He brought followed all NRA and US Outdoor Shooting recommendations in construction.
Neighbors took him to district court and got it closed permanently.
One other thing, check on insurance. He was only able to find 2 companies in the US that insured ranges. IT WAS EXPENSIVE.

If you want the name and phone number of this person PM me and Ill give it to you.
He did not hire a lawyer? May be his neighbor just migrated from a Cuba/some communist countries? Was it a commercial range? or just private range? So, you may be banned from shooting the rabbit that sitting in front of the target.... LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom