Recommendations for a kids 22lr.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigb159

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the market for a 22lr rifle to start teaching my kids, starting with the ten year old. Bolt, lever, etc would be fine.

What are you recommendations, what have you worked with your kids on or what did you have as a kid?

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on the kid, a crickett is where most people start. I started on a pump action 22. My kid really likes bolt actions, but he loves the pump action.
The kid doesn't need to know that ANY 22 isn't a single shot until a few range trips are under their belts haha. Teaches them patience, especially when you step up to pistols.
If we were going tomorrow, me and one of the kids, I'd take the following, because options are fun at the range.
CZ 452 Trainer with irons, CZ 455 Tacticool with fixed 6x scope, Remington 572 Fieldmaster with 2-7 scope, Rossi Rio Bravo (plastic edition) with fiber optic irons, Glock 44, S&W 63, S&W 43C.
That covers bolt, pump, lever, semi auto pistol, SA/DA revo, and DAO revo. Covers the basics, and out of more than quite a few 22s we've tried, this list is the most fun for us at the moment.

Pick something you can both enjoy. The Rossi is a GREAT gun for less than Henry prices, the CZ is a heirloom you'll both love. Savage has some great beginner guns at beginner prices.

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending on the kid, a crickett is where most people start. I started on a pump action 22. My kid really likes bolt actions, but he loves the pump action.
The kid doesn't need to know that ANY 22 isn't a single shot until a few range trips are under their belts haha. Teaches them patience, especially when you step up to pistols.
If we were going tomorrow, me and one of the kids, I'd take the following, because options are fun at the range.
CZ 452 Trainer with irons, CZ 455 Tacticool with fixed 6x scope, Remington 572 Fieldmaster with 2-7 scope, Rossi Rio Bravo (plastic edition) with fiber optic irons, Glock 44, S&W 63, S&W 43C.
That covers bolt, pump, lever, semi auto pistol, SA/DA revo, and DAO revo. Covers the basics, and out of more than quite a few 22s we've tried, this list is the most fun for us at the moment.

Pick something you can both enjoy. The Rossi is a GREAT gun for less than Henry prices, the CZ is a heirloom you'll both love. Savage has some great beginner guns at beginner prices.

I'll second what @CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin said. Except I'd recommend the Savage Rascal over the Cricket.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine are on a Savage Rascal Minimalist (pink for the girls) and I really like it. We had to go with something super small because, well, my kids are still small 😂

We actually started on a semi, but I felt that it was taking away from some key fundamentals so I switched them to a single shot bolt.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=13802

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the ruger precision rimfire for kids because of the adjustability. Yes outgrowing a rifle is cool because that means we get to buy a new one or graduate our kids to the next model but since owning the ruger there’s something to be said for platform familiarity.

User_3155

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought both my boys a Savage Mark ii GLY and I enjoyed shooting them as much as they did. My main reason for buying them was Savage was one of the few offerings available for Southpaws. I'm a righty, but shot the heck out of them. Link below is for the righty version.

Savage Mark ii GLY

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking to single shot 22s I don’t know a single kid that wouldn’t think a Steven’s Crackshot wasn’t cool.
IMG_0215.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom