Red Dots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dspencer

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a couple pistols with optics, but I'm not sure how I feel about them. For those who switched from iron sites to optics didnit take a while to get used to or was it live at first sight (potential pun intended).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It does take a learning curve because the optics dot is typically well above where the iron sights are requiring the shooter to learn a new method of aim on the handgun. (probably didn't explain that as well as some others may)
Some of the new dots are very low which should help that.
I know when I converted, it seemed I had to roll the firearm downward to acquire the dot which felt unnatural to me after shooting irons for so many years.
Used to it now and it's not an issue but it does take a lot of time at the range to get that new mind set and grip.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
You have to practice. Each person's different in the way they acquire the dot and target. If you've been an Iron sight guy for all this time, muscle memory will kick in and you'll be looking at the sights or FSP and the target, but the dot will be somewhere else, so you'll have to kinda retrain yourself. I put e-types and round shoot-n-cs all over the barn and practice.

Dspencer

Marksman
Reaction score
It does take a learning curve because the optics dot is typically well above where the iron sights are requiring the shooter to learn a new method of aim on the handgun. (probably didn't explain that as well as some others may)
Some of the new dots are very low which should help that.
I know when I converted, it seemed I had to roll the firearm downward to acquire the dot which felt unnatural to me after shooting irons for so many years.
Used to it now and it's not an issue but it does take a lot of time at the range to get that new mind set and grip.
Yeah I have definitely noticed this as well, I'm used to looking for the front sight which is easy for me to find. The red dot seems like it's never where it should be 😆

Dspencer

Marksman
Reaction score
You have to practice. Each person's different in the way they acquire the dot and target. If you've been an Iron sight guy for all this time, muscle memory will kick in and you'll be looking at the sights or FSP and the target, but the dot will be somewhere else, so you'll have to kinda retrain yourself. I put e-types and round shoot-n-cs all over the barn and practice.
Makes sense, I'm definitely more of an iron sight guy. I can shoot a decent group using iron sights but using a red dot is a different story.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At 7 yards I notice how slow it is, at 25 I notice how accurate it is.

Irons cover the target at 25, now I can call my shots and read my fundamentals through the dot. Took me less than a day to catch up to speed at close range.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gotta get use to it, once you do, you can't go back.
Exactly. It's the bomb. I was at one of the farms on the river today, taking the AR-22RF to do some plinking. There were some driftwood sticks in the sandbar on the other side about 70 yards away with a great high bank for a backstop so sat on the 4 wheeler, and started cutting them down to water level. Amazing how accurate on can be with a dot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom