Red Dots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too bad you cannot co-witness the irons like you can an AR

Sometimes I look through my red dot at my now clear, unimpeded view of the target and think "Boy, you know what this single focal plane view needs? A couple of dark, metallic objects to get in the way."

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to go to a red dot cause I’m old. It wasn’t hard for me to change over because I like tall iron sights that sit above my hand, unlike glocks. I shoot Sigs mainly. I put an SRO on my Sig 226 and I love it much more than iron sights. Much easier for me to pick up and I have a full field of view which is great. My twin brother was the total opposite. Loves Glocks and used an RMR. He was having trouble finding his dot. Not sure if he’s comfortable with it yet.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple pistols with optics, but I'm not sure how I feel about them. For those who switched from iron sites to optics didnit take a while to get used to or was it live at first sight (potential pun intended).
I love them on plinkers and airguns but will never use them for CCW...combat irons faster to shoot and no chance of failure

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago I bought into the red dot craze,,,
I outfitted three of my range toy .22's with medium to high quality red dots.

I eventually went back to iron sights for all three,,,
I just couldn't get any precision (repeatability) with them.

I eventually put one on my Hi-Point 9mm carbine,,,
It's not a precision type rifle and it did allow me to get on target and fire quicker.

Seeing as how I'm only going for "minute of bad guy" under 25 yards distance,,,
And would probably be using this carbine for night (dark) duty,,,
It's the only situation I feel it would benefit me.

I sold one of the others and gifted one for use on a HD shotgun,,,
I've never been tempted again.

Aarond

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like Dennis said, it’s a possibility. Very hard to get a clear picture. Definitely looks better in person.
2839DE64-2FB7-4A3D-9DE4-FB9725FD3C6D.jpeg
1E03FF77-0F02-48F1-9993-674B70978A1D.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Irons just feel more natural to me, I think having a dot would be fun for steel challenge or something like that though.
If your proficient at steel challenge with a dot, you will be much more proficient at SD with one because you've trained yourself to acquire the target faster with the dot vs aligning a couple of sights that you can't see at night anyway.
Watch some videos at steel challenge matches or visit one which would be the best.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As long as I can see the front sight through the glass I’m good. I actually don’t want really tall irons because I don’t like how they make the sight picture busy. I also don’t like the VTAC night sights that S&W uses on some of their M&Ps for a similar reason (the dots and tritium are separate).

Latest posts

Top Bottom