Redefining moments in your life...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright folks... Here is my meaningful contributive post to OSA.

What is the redefining moment of your life? (military service, marriage, divorce, et al).

For me,... it has been the birth and growth of my baby daughter. I know that men, typically, carry some machisimo from having boys. But I couldnt, honestly, ask for anything better than a daughter. She is my life, my future, and my whole reason for being. It changed my outlook on who I should be.

I know most men pride themselves on having boys (which is awesome), but for me,... I just dont think I would have been able to grow as much as I have without a precious baby girl.

So,... lets have it. Tell us your story! What has made you grow more than anything else (man, woman, whoever you are)?

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have 3 daughters and wouldnt dream of wishing any of them were boys. I admit I can be as alpha male as most guys and having been swimming in estrogen for the last ten years has enlightened me more than anything else in my life.

I will miss out on some father/son activities, but hopefully one day I can make up for it with some grandfather/grandson activities. Marrying my wife and having my girls has been THE defining moments of my life.

ruckerduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm lucky. I get the best of both worlds, one son one daughter. My son changed my life. Then my daughter was born and it changed again, both times for the better.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whitey, cherish as much as you can... my daughter graduates next year... time flies...

and if she were a boy, I'd have beat his ass waaaay too much.... she gets away with murder...

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had two girls first and a boy third. I was glad to wind up with a boy but I wouldn't trade either of my girls for anything. I have a friend with three daughters and he claims he doesn't care if he ever has a boy but I think he's just preparing himself for that scenario. I had a customer walk in once with 6 girls and a pregnant wife. I said, "please tell me you've got a boy in there." He said, "nope girl number 7 and I'm finally giving up."

My kids are 9, 5 and 4. They keep me sane. When I have to deal with the worst in people sometimes at work, there is nothing better than coming home and hugging my kids. I've heard people say two year olds are bad or threes are bad. I've absolutely loved every year so far. I expect that will all change when they're teenagers but I enjoy every moment with them now.

I gave my son my name to kind of remind me that I want to behave in a way that will make him proud to have that name. I love wrestling with him and having a son is really special. It's just different than it is with the girls. I can't say it's better but it's like comparing apples and oranges. Whitey, kudos to you for allowing your daughter to change your life. Too many parents are trying to fit their children into their "lifestyle." If having kids doesn't change you, you probably shouldn't be having kids.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had two girls first and a boy third. I was glad to wind up with a boy but I wouldn't trade either of my girls for anything. I have a friend with three daughters and he claims he doesn't care if he ever has a boy but I think he's just preparing himself for that scenario. I had a customer walk in once with 6 girls and a pregnant wife. I said, "please tell me you've got a boy in there." He said, "nope girl number 7 and I'm finally giving up."

My kids are 9, 5 and 4. They keep me sane. When I have to deal with the worst in people sometimes at work, there is nothing better than coming home and hugging my kids. I've heard people say two year olds are bad or threes are bad. I've absolutely loved every year so far. I expect that will all change when they're teenagers but I enjoy every moment with them now.

I gave my son my name to kind of remind me that I want to behave in a way that will make him proud to have that name. I love wrestling with him and having a son is really special. It's just different than it is with the girls. I can't say it's better but it's like comparing apples and oranges. Whitey, kudos to you for allowing your daughter to change your life. Too many parents are trying to fit their children into their "lifestyle." If having kids doesn't change you, you probably shouldn't be having kids.

And I approve this message! Very well said.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
redefining moments sofar are having a sone(first child), wife is prego with a girl right now, so from the way you guys talk there may be another one in my near future...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My life changing moment was the military, and the era that I was in.
Prior to being drafted, I was one step away from going to prison. I had no respect for the law, no respect for others rights, teachers, no respect for anything. Fighting/street racing, is what I loved to do.

Getting to basic training, I still remember my DI's, Jim Wasnuski, and Gerald Porter. Both fresh from Vietnam. It was the old Army where you learned it, or they beat it into you.
They pretty much had to beat it into me, and later on, after deployment, I had some serious Epiphany's, about what life is really like. The old saying there are no atheist in a foxhole is really true. Fighting became a method to save your buddy, not to intimidate like the High School crap.
Learned honor, respect, and to trust my fellow man.
After getting out, I raised two sons,mostly on my own after a divorce, and could be accused of trying too hard to instill my new-found respect on them. We had major battles, but I guess some of it soaked in as they are upstanding men now. So much for my story.

Latest posts

Top Bottom