Redefining moments in your life...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for something to define my life let alone redefine it... I have had a singularly uninteresting exsistance.

You and most everyone else, you're just more honest about it.

Except for PUMPKIN. When he saw that pizza come thought that titty bar door, the grass got a little greener and the sky got a little bluer from that day forward. He was really hoping to order Chinese takeout, but once he had that pizza in his hands he never gave it a second thought.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got one so far, hopefully two by the end of this week, and with some assistance maybe 3 in a few months.

Number one was starting machinist school. I know this barely compares to some of the other experiences, but for my entire life I've been great at being mediocre or less at everything, until I got in this class. I went from being a farm kid in the rocks of MO to controlling nuclear power in the Navy, but I have enjoyed learning nothing nearly as much as I do every day I step foot in the machine shop at Tulsa Tech. Those 8 hours a week are priceless to me, in a way I never imagined.

Number two will be if I am fortunate enough to get the apprentice machinist position at CRTS' Coating Robotics facility here in Tulsa. I went for the interview Thursday, and it ended up being a lot more of a walk through for me as well. It's my dream position to start out as a machinist. Every job is most likely new fabrication, not production machinist where you do the same thing over and over and over a million times. Aside from that, the impression I received of the company was nothing short of amazing, and I would truly enjoy working there just to be involved in what they do. Hopefully I'll hear good news this week.

Number three will be if Tulsa's IVF facility can help us out in a way that other methods haven't been able to so far, then maybe I'll be able to match some of the above stories soon. We'll see how that goes as well.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll add a few more just so people dont think it has to be about having kids:

Realizing the sport I played didnt define who I was.
Getting diagnosed with cancer.
Losing religion.
Getting told I needed to wrap things up, only to go in and out of remission and finally in remission for the last 7 years.
Finding that one person who would put up with all my crap and love me no matter what self defense mechanisms I still had.
Somewhere, for no real interesting reason, finding religion (or I guess you could say it found me).
Realizing that outside of my wife and kid, my parents were the best friends I could have ever asked for.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is actually a good thread, pardon my trolling in it. I don't think I'll ever have a defining moment or redefining moment in my life. "Defining" as in a reason for existence. I'm just here.

In terms of things that changed the way I view life, three events relating to mortality come to mind. Two times I came near death myself, and the other was the death of someone I wasn't close to...but was very similar to someone I am close to. The first two made me think of my mortality, and the third one made me think of those around me. (I.E. the mortality of people other than the elderly.) The third one was very odd, I never would have guessed it would affect me at all...and it pointed out things that should have been obvious but I had shut out until that point. I accepted my own mortality long before I thought about it in those around me (excluding the elderly again).

I'm a guarded, defensive, cynical misanthrope, and I've met a couple of people that totally tore all that down instantly and left me a pathetic pile of patheticness. Make me feel human? Give me hope for humanity and/or my future? Totally make me feel like a failure at the one thing I was ever good at? Yeah man, definitely the last one. :igetit:

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First marriage ended in divorce: High School sweethearts, neither one of us were turning out to be what we’d told ourselves we’d become, nor what we’d thought the other would become. I had to move back in with my parents, lots of soul searching with this event.

Birth of our daughter: after 36 hours of labor, the delivery was the most “primordial” event I’d ever witnessed. And no matter how prepared you think you are it dawns on you; this little being that eats, sleeps and soils itself is TOTALLY dependent on me!!! It turned out OK, she’ll be graduating summa cum laude from OU next month; and then she’s of to the London School of Economics for her master’s degree.

Death of both my parents within 24 hours: Mom was chronically ill and in in-home hospice, Dad died suddenly in his front yard from the stress. Mom had to be moved, and died that night. I hadn’t realized that deep in the back of my mind was the knowledge that my parents had my back (if I needed it) and now that “safety net” was gone.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is actually a good thread, pardon my trolling in it. I don't think I'll ever have a defining moment or redefining moment in my life. "Defining" as in a reason for existence. I'm just here.

You will. Its just not your time. There will be an occasion in your life that will make the way you THINK, and the way you ACT will be changed forever.
I was a smart SOB in my youth.
Found out later on, that I was totally dumb.

Reading your posts, you don't really have a long way to go. Just a little nudge:laugh6:

Latest posts

Top Bottom