Redefining moments in your life...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will. Its just not your time. There will be an occasion in your life that will make the way you THINK, and the way you ACT will be changed forever.
I was a smart SOB in my youth.
Found out later on, that I was totally dumb.

Reading your posts, you don't really have a long way to go. Just a little nudge:laugh6:

Yeah, I've had several of those...even listed a couple similar to ones that others had listed in this thread. Those changed me a bit. Stuff like that happens to everybody. Things that drive home/reiterate points to you throughout life.
I don't know if that's the same thing as a "defining moment". I take "defining moment" as "Holy crap, my existence on Earth is for X purpose and life means X." I don't see that happening. I pretty much think we're all "just here".

That's something people said about both times I came close to death. "You must be here for a reason." I always said "Nah, nobody is. We're not that important." We like to think we are, but we're not. We're just another animal trying to make it through the day. None of the deer I've missed think their life means anything, I'm sure of it. They just think they lucked out one more time. :D

Other than those couple things about mortality and human relationships, nothing has ever drastically changed my beliefs/viewpoints and I seriously doubt anything ever will. Those have all been more or less the same since childhood. I've never found religion and never lost it, none of that jive. Always been distrustful of authority, but it can't be traced to anything.

I've always known I'm dumb. I'm glad, because that means I'm not extremely dumb. Extremely dumb people are not aware they are dumb.

No,RH is a lost cause.:rollingla

redmax is closer on this one Dennis, sorry. :thumb:

Last edited:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was born while there were still 48 states, Ike was in office, the "Wall" still was to be built, and I got to see it come down in 1989. Joined the military in 1976, and stuck it out till 1997. Was there to deliver both my son(normal) and daughter(C-section), mother took her final breath sitting next to me after a 20yr bought with alzhiemers, went to Iraq to help destroy Captured Enemy Ammunition. After two years I walked out crippled but alive.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is gonna sound odd coming from a woman (typically it is the woman in the bunch that says having kids were the defining moment in her life, no?) but it was not having the boys. Maybe that was because I was the oldest of 7 and had already spent my entire existence raising kids. My mom figured that when she popped the little buggers out her part in raising them was done. We were all just a buffer between her and divorce court (What man can afford child support for 7 kids?).

For me it the realization that it was not my job to fix everything for everybody else. Once I came to that realization I dropped about 200 pounds of dead weight (actually more like 1000 pounds ... deadbeat family can sure weigh you down) and got on with the job of living my life. It's been a pretty decent ride since then.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine was in the military. I joined right out of high school. I don't count the first enlistment term, as it was nothing more that getting out on my own and learning how to party without getting in trouble. During my 2nd term, though, things changed. Higher rank, more responsibiity, I matured mentally and grew up. The experiences and lessons I learned along with the discipline has helped me throughout the rest of my life (so far. ;) )

Although, I think I'm about to hit another defining moment. BB's post hit it right on the money. My life has been filled with always helping others and fixing other peoples' problems. I've been thinking a lot about that lately due to stress and burnout. It's time to realize that my career is not my life...it's a job and a paycheck source. Nothing more. Now I just have to act on it and prioritize what's really important. Helping others will always be something I think about...it's just my nature. But, I'm not going to be the 'goto guy' anymore.

Whew...it felt good just saying that. :)

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NO matter how hard you work or what you do. Someone won't be happy with it.

Not sure where I learned that or why. But I'd sure like the next defining moment to make be less cynical than the last one left me.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NO matter how hard you work or what you do. Someone won't be happy with it.

Not sure where I learned that or why. But I'd sure like the next defining moment to make be less cynical than the last one left me.

I hear you there... I've had ones like that too.

I've had all kinds of redefining moments throughout my life... I won't try to rank or rate them all, but every one has had an impact on me. Some good, some bad.

As far as the most pleasant ones go, the births of my children are at the top. The good news is that I get to experience and feel something very close to those first moments of their lives every single day. Whether it be watching them play, listening to them laugh, having a conversation with them or just observing the miracle of their lives as they learn, question, think and love. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After 30 years of marriage being told that my wife had cancer. I realized that the person I had spent over half my life with could suddenly be taken away from me. I started trying then to show her how much I loved her in a special way. Ten years later I still have her and I still love her more today than I did yesterday..

Latest posts

Top Bottom