Reloading 9mm: Question about projectile weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to start reloading 9mm to keep myself busy and I’ve got about 500 Missouri Bullet Company coated 115gr bullets to start off with and some W231. I’m thinking about ordering some more projectiles and maybe giving the 125 grain cone style a try. Is anyone running either of those projectiles and want to share their experience with them?

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I try to keep my plinking rounds as close to what i normally carry, as far a bullet weight goes, that way your not getting use to one weight and then get a surprise when you need it the most. But i load 115's for everything and mainly use cast in nearly everything i shot.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to start reloading 9mm to keep myself busy and I’ve got about 500 Missouri Bullet Company coated 115gr bullets to start off with and some W231. I’m thinking about ordering some more projectiles and maybe giving the 125 grain cone style a try. Is anyone running either of those projectiles and want to share their experience with them?
I load 115 gn for my 9mm’s by the thousands. It is a good weight for a target/plinking bullet. I used to run the coated Bullets from several sources, and had excellent results with them. I found a source for 115 FMJ Bullets at a reasonable price at Rocky mountain reloading (RMR). So the last couple thousand rounds I have run FMJ RN Bullets.
I do not use 231 for 9mm but it is kind of my go to powder for 45acp And 38 special. I think it should work just fine for 9mm, just follow the published recipes. I see on the Hodgdon web site that it is a powder in their data base.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=53

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If 115 gr is what you carry, and what you are used to, by all means continue. It's a suitable, well proven weight for the cartridge.

I prefer the 125-ish (anywhere from 120-130) grain projectiles for 9mm. It seems the recoil is more agreeable, and penetration MAY be slightly better.

Hard to go wrong either way.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was about to post a big long winded reason 124 will tend to be more accurate than 115s, but. I'll just say in general the 124 bullets and heavier (depending on twist rate) will almost always be more accurate due to case support while feeding. 231 is just Devine in 9.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll order up some of the 125s then on my next order. The price difference between those and the 115s is negligible. I’ve got a friend that’s new to shooting and wants to get on a regular schedule going to the range. Reloading is going to make that more financially feasible. Damn if I shouldn’t have bought a lot more 9mm when the price was down. Hindsight is 20/20, but at least I have a enough components to get going for awhile. Thanks guys.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll order up some of the 125s then on my next order. The price difference between those and the 115s is negligible. I’ve got a friend that’s new to shooting and wants to get on a regular schedule going to the range. Reloading is going to make that more financially feasible. Damn if I shouldn’t have bought a lot more 9mm when the price was down. Hindsight is 20/20, but at least I have a enough components to get going for awhile. Thanks guys.
Brass case CCI 125gr fmj 9mm is 38¢/Rd at SG Ammo right now.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/cci-...uger-cci-blazer-brass-124-grain-fmj-ammo-5201
Not as inexpensive as reloading, but if you want to stock up for lean times (or trade bait during lean times) you could do worse.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Brass case CCI 125gr fmj 9mm is 38¢/Rd at SG Ammo right now.
https://www.sgammo.com/product/cci-...uger-cci-blazer-brass-124-grain-fmj-ammo-5201
Not as inexpensive as reloading, but if you want to stock up for lean times (or trade bait during lean times) you could do worse.

I have some brass cased 9mm laid back and I thought about buying a case or two, but then I thought why don’t I roll my own when I have everything to do it. 9mm was so cheap that for years reloading it didn’t seem practical, but now it seems more like the thing to do.

delta6

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
9MM, 115 grain coated, lead, TMJ, FMJ, 4.6/4.7 grains WW231, mixed cases, OAL will depend on the ogive location and magazine; is a pleasant practice/plinking combination. Reasonably accurate in most guns I have tested and fairly economical. Velocity surpasses the 1000 FPS threshold which I have found necessary to function most 9MM pistols and PCC's. There are other powders that are a bit cleaner burning, but WW231 can have multiple cartridge uses.

SIG 9MM X5 & M17 Summit Bullets.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom