Reloading for beginners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with what came in the box with Lee classic loader die. (Wack-A-Mole)

I ended up with a real press later and a Lyman 49th.
I do like that book.

The basic is shoot a factory round from your gun and now you have a case to reload.
De prime it.
Clean it.
Size it
Install new primer.
Add correct amount of powder.
Add correct bullet.
Seat bullet to correct depth.

Shoot it.

That sounds easy but you get all caught up in that best load and start buying all kinds of things to make what should be a
simple process into a long drawn out process.
And some people like doing that :)

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started reloading back in the late 80's with a current at the time Speer 9th edition and I believe they are up to the 15th edition now.

Through the years I've acquired manuals by Lyman, Hornady, Sierra, Modern Handloading and others.

I've got the 5th edition but if I was just starting out and looking for a manual today I'd get the current 6th edition Sierra......it's a 1368 page three ring binder that runs around $35.00 depending on where you get it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020728696

Sierra.jpg

Last edited:

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started reloading back in the late 80's with a current at the time Speer 9th edition and I believe they are up to the 15th edition now.

Through the years I've acquired manuals by Lyman, Hornady, Sierra, Modern Handloading and others.

I've got the 5th edition but if I was just starting out and looking for a manual today I'd get the current 6th edition Sierra......it's a 1368 page three ring binder that runs around $35.00 depending on where you get it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020728696

View attachment 184315
That Sierra book would be a good one.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you prefer a specific brand of bullet, get their reloading manual if they print one. If it's not one of the major manufacturers and they don't print a manual, most any of them will offer load data that will work. It won't make a huge difference which one, just see if they list recipes for similar bullet to what you want to shoot (for example, if you're shooting .357 mag you probably want to make sure they have load data for 158 gr. cast bullets). Over time, you're going to want more than one as you try different bullets so it's not a big deal which you start with. And pretty much all of them have chapters on reloading procedures. Read through them, and keep it handy for reference. Double check EVERYTHING!

Latest posts

Top Bottom