Reloading noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just starting to look into this. I've read a bunch of web sites and done searches here to catch up on the local knowledge.

This looks like something I would like to gear up to do. I will be on the lookout for used gear. i also saw some Dillon bundled gear on one website suggested here.

I talked to the reload guy behind the counter at HH yesterday and he explained a few things about the presses to me.

At the end he said that they highly recommend beginning reloaders start with a single stage press so that they can learn the basics slowly and then move to a progressive when they are ready.

What do you all think about that? I'm inclined with any new hobby to research the hell out of it before diving in. I usually go with gear that I know will last me awhile before I need to upgrade. This usually puts me in the intermediate level of gear.. not top line, but not entry level either.

I think reloading will be something I enjoy and do for as long as I shoot. For instance, I am a fly fisherman and I've tied my own flies for years and years. It seems to me that reloading is similar.

There are a couple of people selling used beginner sets now, but I don't want to go cheap and outgrow the gear soon after starting.

Thoughts?

B

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
lol, I think I saw you. I was getting primers.

A single stage press isn't a beginner setup....I hate hearing people give that advice. They are good for beginners to learn on, but only because it is slow and in full view. I wouldn't call a progressive an advanced users press either. A monkey with half a brain could use one effectively. You just need to know the basics of reloading...what you're doing, why, and how to do it safely. That will all translate very well from a single stage to a progressive....you're doing the same thing still right?

first, get at least one reloading manual and read the beginning of it. That will give you an idea what's going on with pictures and stuff.

I say if you want to crank out rounds for IPSC or something find a buddy to let you work on his single stage or turret and load a few hundred rounds. By then, you'll see what's going on and why you do the things you do to reload and you could probably get your own progressive and be just fine. Then all that's left is to be safe. Follow your manuals. Start 10% under max and work up for each gun. It's really a simple process IMO.

If you want precision or mainly rifle loading, you'll want a single stage or turret press anyway.

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Learn how to enjoy it. Don't let it become just another hobby, but let it become therapy. I reload rifle and pistol for hunting, so I'm not talking about mass quantities. My lovely bride bought RCBS master reload kit for me the fisrt Christmas we were married. Nothing fancy, but it gave me a foundation to build on. Since then, I've added higher quality this and thats, picked up tools and fabbed up my own inventions to make what I'm doing more enjoyable. I get in a rythym, the dull noise of the press and powder throw work wonders for stress and burn out. That's why it's all set up in my office!:yelclap:

My advice would be to start with green gear - RCBS or better, IMO, Redding. Don't go all out, build a good foundation and learn what your doing. It's not a fast process, fast is going to the Wam-Alart and buying ammo. READ THE MANUALS. Add better components as you go and it will be lifelong enjoyment you can pass on to your kids...unless you're a eunuch.
:uhwhat:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always encourage beginners to start on a single stage. A good quality turret press is also a good way to go. And when you get into rifles, which you will, you'll have a setup for precision loading already. They are also nice for small batches when you are experimenting.

There was a RCBS master kit here in the classifieds just the other day. It was at a great price too for what all he had with it. If you are serious I'd look to see if it's still available.

But before you start actually loading get some manuals (several) and read, read, read. I find reloading just about as fun as shooting. It's almost a hobby in itself. And then there's bullet casting......

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also encourage people to start on a single stage.
Learn the basics. Even if you move up to a progressive you'll still use the single stage for working up test loads and similar stuff.
I think Dustin mentioned finding a buddy to use thier single stage. Not a bad idea really. Especially if you know you'll be moving up to a progressive. But I bet if you stick with it you'll end up picking up a single stage for yourself. Turret presses are a great compromise.

Just remember that reloading is a relatively simple process stocked full of opportunities to screw up. Learn the basics, practice safe reloading.

And forget about saving any money by reloading.
You won't save a dime, just shoot more.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont think the single stage is neccessary as a "first step". You can take your time with a progressive and learn just the same, you just need the discipline to do so. For me, it isnt hard to stay focused as I am creating little tiny pipe bombs. Rushing through it to just have 1000 rounds isnt worth a possible KB in my narrow mind.

On the other hand, I bought a progressive first. Now I am working a single stage in the budget because I have specialty dies I need it for plus my rifle shooting is for precision. You can get a better "tuned" bullet from a SS for rifle than you can using a progressive.

So my two cents,... think about your needs and rate them (do you want plinking rounds more than precision?), then research, then research some more, take a class, then research some more, buy a book or 3, find a buddy who will give you some hands on experience.

If you are like me, you will find yourself with both,... eventually.

OldFart said:
You won't save a dime, just shoot more.

So very very very true. You gotta do it cause you like the idea of making better than factory ammo, not cause it will save (allow you to reposition finances). ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom