Rem 1100 doctors ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a problem with my 1100 picking up the next shell , the shell is on the carrier but the carrier does not lift the shell to chamber it without me pushing the button . Any help out there?

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First thing to try is a new magazine tube spring. If not that, your interceptor latch is either bent or the pin that holds it is broken.
This is correct. The mag spring should have enough pressure that when the shell latch releases the shell, the new shell will hit the carrier latch with enough force to trip the carrier.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve bought replacement tube springs from Brownells for 870’s, 1100’s and Mossberg 590, .12 ga. Pretty reasonable prices. Brownells.com

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had issues w/ my old 1100 a few years ago loading shells. I tore it all down and did replace the interceptor latch mentioned above. I also had to re-stake the shell latch. I bought the tool shown below. Let me know if you end up getting to that point and would like to borrow it.
Good luck!

IMG_2403.png

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Start with dirt and grime from shooting.
Start with a good cleaning, its inexpensive and should be done anyway.

Proper cleaning and lubrication of the trigger group may be the answer.

Cleaning the gas ports may be needed.

As others said, worn o rings in the forearm affect how the action moves and are a common maintenance item. They may look good, and not be.

Be sure all that stuff is properly assembled before testing, and some can be put together wrong. There are a few variations of the 1100 in that area, so be sure your reference is for your assembly.

After that, think about worn parts.

If you think its a week mag spring, you can test the theory buy loading the mag with a full complement of shells (no plug)
The more the spring is compressed, the harder it pushes. If the first 1 or 2 feed properly and then you have problems spring force should be considered.
You can also measure the length of the spring and compare it to a stock spring for the same mag capacity. If yours is significantly shorter, then your spring has yielded and is not pushing hard enough.

The trigger group has a lot of spring ejected bits in it that are easy to lose.
Play with it assembled until you understand what everything does and how the parts interact.

Think twice before tearing into it. Take lots of photos and have a good assembly diagram to reference when reassembling. Remember, a gun smith would rather start with a complete and properly assembled trigger group than a bag of parts to diagnose the problem.

If you do disassemble it, verify function after reassembly without ammo in the gun and make sure it resets the trigger properly. Then test fire with 1 shell in the gun, then 2 shells in the gun, then 3 in the gun. Then full mag. With any semi auto its best to have limited shells in the mag until you know its not going to run away.

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As to those who suggested that I replace the spring where can find mag spring I checked Browneals and Midway and they don't have any but they have +2 springs ,I have ordered new piston and o-ring .

Latest posts

Top Bottom