"Remington, Under Fire"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shot(bob)

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those aren't an accurate portrayal of basic rules. #2 keep your finger off the trigger until you're aimed and ready to fire or pointed in a safe direction. A good number of guns require you to pull the trigger to pull the bolt out (my Savage), and the safety cannot be engaged while this happens. A good number of guns don't even have manual safeties (my handgun, a Glock). Additionally, you have to pull the trigger on the Glock to field strip it.

I can remember several guns that require you to pull the trigger to get the bolt out, but in that case the bolt is always in the most rearward position and there is no way way it could ever fire a round while doing so.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can remember several guns that require you to pull the trigger to get the bolt out, but in that case the bolt is always in the most rearward position and there is no way way it could ever fire a round while doing so.

Sad thing is the majority of the koolaid drinking anti-sheep don't know this, those that do, really don't give a rat's six and will add this to their BS lies.

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the problem was caused by opening the bolt while on safety. Apparently something would bend and when the safety was switched off the gun would fire. I ran across a thread where this had happened when I was searching for info on a 700ml. Unfortunately I'm afraid there may be some truth to this one. That said I won't be getting rid of my 700, although there may be some good deals on some soon.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the rifle 'fired', unloaded of course, during the trial when it shouldn't have, I bet the defense lawyer got an ulcer right then and there.

Ruger sales might be looking up.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 700 PSS does it all the time. For mine to do it, I cycle the bolt closed on an empty chamber, set the safety, put light pressure on trigger then release it, take the safety off and the firing pin immediately releases and fires. I can do this all day long with it. I just know not to chamber a round until I'm ready to close the bolt and fire the gun.

P.S. - I've never tried it with a round in the chamber because thats just flat out stupid and unsafe.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 700 PSS does it all the time. For mine to do it, I cycle the bolt closed on an empty chamber, set the safety, put light pressure on trigger then release it, take the safety off and the firing pin immediately releases and fires. I can do this all day long with it. I just know not to chamber a round until I'm ready to close the bolt and fire the gun.

P.S. - I've never tried it with a round in the chamber because thats just flat out stupid and unsafe.

Dude, that's the exact problem!

FWIW, I wouldn't own a bolt action that you couldn't chamber a round for fear of that. Totally useless for hunting, IMO...

Edit to add: Can you get it to do while opening the bolt? They had some video of LEO's documenting that. As soon as they started lifting up, kaboom.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude, that's the exact problem!

FWIW, I wouldn't own a bolt action that you couldn't chamber a round for fear of that. Totally useless for hunting, IMO...

Edit to add: Can you get it to do while opening the bolt? They had some video of LEO's documenting that. As soon as they started lifting up, kaboom.

Id never use this gun for hunting anyways. It weighs 12 lbs. Never tried it by opening the bolt. I'll try it tomorrow when I get back into my safe. I keep meaning to buy a Rifle Basix trigger for it, just like I've got installed in my 700 SPS, but I keep forgetting too.

ridurall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve got a custom Remington 03A3 chambered for 30 Belted Newton. Over the years safeties do wear and at some point while the safety is on and the trigger gets bumped when you let the safety off the gun can fire. It happened to my 03 while deer hunting and scared the crap out of me. I replaced the Buler low swing safety and the problem was solved. I assume the same type of problem is possible with other guns no matter who makes them. Like one of the above posters noted don’t point your gun at anything you do not want to shoot. Gun safety is the most important thing to learn. Also keep your gun up to safe standards and replace those worn parts. Someone else noted that a gun went off in his father’s safe. Several of my guns are loaded in my vaults. Just in case I need it when I need it. My father had a Parker Hale 30-06 go off while trying to unload it back at the hunting camp. He was unloading it and as he closed the bolt to cycle another round out the gun went off. It was pointed in a safe direction so no one was hurt and he discovered that it was cold grease that caused the problem. Dad had always used GI gun grease and it was too stiff when cold. He changed to a better lubricant and had never had a problem.

I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Latest posts

Top Bottom