Remove that $#@& ice off of your vehicle!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I was west of enid yesterday on my way up to run the bird dog. I get past the Ringwood turnoff where it goes back to two lane. I get behind a welding truck that's doing about 50mph. I pass as soon as I get a chance and just in time for a large sheet of ice to fly off the top of his welder. I instinctively duck as it comes right for my drivers side window. damn! it was loud and I thought for sure there was some damage or a cracked window. I got lucky but it scared the bejeesus out of me!

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now, there is no state law requiring drivers to remove ice from the roof of their cars. That means if you're hit by ice from a passing vehicle, you are responsible for the repairs.

Sure there is. It's called "failure to adequately secure load"...

It's like texting while driving.... we already have a law for "failure to give due attention to driving"...

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score

It's like texting while driving.... we already have a law for "failure to give due attention to driving"...

Nothing I could find on ODOT or OSCN describes a law requiring a vehicle owner to remove it. The news is reporting the same thing as well as my insurance company. State Farm has confirmed to me that they will cover it as a road hazard.

I spent the day watching ice fall from power lines onto cars. I guess AEP better get prepared for tons of claims. :-)

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing I could find on ODOT or OSCN describes a law requiring a vehicle owner to remove it. The news is reporting the same thing as well as my insurance company. State Farm has confirmed to me that they will cover it as a road hazard.

I spent the day watching ice fall from power lines onto cars. I guess AEP better get prepared for tons of claims. :-)

Of course nothing requires it to be removed. But it is required to be adequately secured to prevent the loss of a load or other material if it is on a moving vehicle on public roads.

State Farm also covers cracks windshields and other damage from debris as a road hazard. That doesn't mean that the person who failed to adequately secure their load isn't responsible - it means that insurers find it less expensive to treat it as a road hazard and accept your claim as a reason to increase your rates while keeping customers happy rather than expend the resources required to pursue the liable party.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I drove down Hwy 169 in Tulsa a little while ago, and saw that pieces and squares of ice were sliding down off the road signs over the highway. Is ODOT responsible for any damage to vehicles caused by this?

I also saw a U-Haul moving van with bits, small and large, of ice flying off its roof and winging down to the road. The one or two cars behind the van were dodging this way and that till the drivers wised up and overtook the van. Who's responsible for any damage to these cars - the driver of the van, assuming he's renting the vehicle, or U-Haul?

As for dash cams capturing the action... one big piece of ice came loose as the van drove across the overpass at 41st St., and the ice sailed over the railing and down to the street below. I doubt a dash cam would have been any good in that situation, but any driver down there would have been in for a rude surprise!

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Unless the ice is being transported as cargo, ice does not fall under load securement regulations. Ice on a vehicle is the same as a pebble on the road.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, however insurance companies classify it, I'm damn glad it's done falling off the trees around here ... :shocked: Sounded like someone was breaking out windows all afternoon ... Do you know how hard it is to take a nap with all that racket?!? :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom