Restoring Headlight Assemblies Experiment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"polishing" headlights is a temporary fix. You will have to do this over and over. To restore headlights properly you need to sand the headlights to remove the damage and then apply UV clear coat. There are kits available that provide sandpaper, sanding discs and the UV clear coat.
Perhaps I used the wrong coating in the past, but found the coating was very difficult to remove and eventually pitted and the plastic still yellows overtime. My plan from here on out is every 6 months or so is to hit the lenses with Fritz before they are too yellowed or sand blasted from road grit. Time will tell!

To add to the above, Fritz is not that aggressive and does not remove much of the plastic. I have tried the kits before and found them lacking.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"polishing" headlights is a temporary fix. You will have to do this over and over. To restore headlights properly you need to sand the headlights to remove the damage and then apply UV clear coat. There are kits available that provide sandpaper, sanding discs and the UV clear coat.
thought polishing compound was a mild abrasive? same with sandpaper you'll be doing it again!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are polishing compounds that will remove scratches on clear coat .Machine glaze is one I use.

No matter what you use it is still junk plastic subject to the sun and the heat from the bulbs and it will fail and you will need to remedy it.
Only permanent fix would be to go back to real glass.

Eventually the cracking and checking will form inside of the lenses then you will be buying new.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are polishing compounds that will remove scratches on clear coat .Machine glaze is one I use.

No matter what you use it is still junk plastic subject to the sun and the heat from the bulbs and it will fail and you will need to remedy it.

Eventually the cracking and checking will form inside of the lenses then you will be buying new.
Yep!

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The best luck I have had getting the work to last is having a body shop shoot them with a UV stable clear. It still isnt as good as glass lenses, but it keeps the yellowing down a lot.

Working from home has been the easiest and most effective way to keep my plastic headlights in shape. The truck just sits in the garage for 95% of its life.

g54b16psi

Marksman
Reaction score
A more permanent solution is to polish the light assembly, then cover it with paint protective film (PPF). PPF is a clear urethane film that is designed to absorb impact damage from small things that hit it. The newer products are even self-healing. If something big enough hits it, it will sustain damage, but the material will last years before it needs to be replaced. It is also blocking UV light, which causes a lot of the issues with plastic light assemblies. PPF is made by many different companies and a window tinting shop or a shop that is wrapping vehicles would be able to take care of your needs (at least here in Colorado...not sure if PPF is a 'thing' in Oklahoma).

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A more permanent solution is to polish the light assembly, then cover it with paint protective film (PPF). PPF is a clear urethane film that is designed to absorb impact damage from small things that hit it. The newer products are even self-healing. If something big enough hits it, it will sustain damage, but the material will last years before it needs to be replaced. It is also blocking UV light, which causes a lot of the issues with plastic light assemblies. PPF is made by many different companies and a window tinting shop or a shop that is wrapping vehicles would be able to take care of your needs (at least here in Colorado...not sure if PPF is a 'thing' in Oklahoma).
interesting have to look in to that

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cool! Wish we had our Outback done with this material and prevented small rock chips to the paint on the front of the car. Learn something new all the time. I had never heard of this product. Thanks for the info.

https://ceramicpro.com/truth-about-paint-protection-film-ppf/

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just did the headlights on my sister-in-law's Accura . I think it was a 3M kit I used. It had several very fine sanding discs and a sealer like you said. It worked very well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom