Revolver toters: Six? Or eight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a big advocate of the New York Reload.

For those of you that don't know what that is, it's the practice of carrying TWO weapons, usually of the same caliber and design. Meaning a pair like a Glock 23 & 27, a Colt 1911/Commander and Detonics "Combat Master" or, my personal carry - a pair of Smith & Wesson .38 Special revolvers.

Since I've went back to revolvers, I've started carrying Bianchi Speed Strips. They just work and carry better than speedloaders. Especially the J frame ones. The one I carry on my belt is more or less for my K frame model 64-2 snubbie. I also carry one in my front pocket for my J frame model 38 Airweight Bodyguard. The one on my belt for my model 64-2 is loaded to the hilt with 6 rounds of Speer 135gr +P Gold Dots. The one in my pocket for my Bodyguard, is loaded with 5 rounds of Hornady 125gr NON +P XTP/JHPs. I used to load it with a full capacity of 6 rounds, but I found that loading it in a 2-space-3 round configuration makes it more workable.

The other day, I discovered a new brand of speed strip made by Tuff Products that holds 8 rounds of ammo instead of Bianchi's 6 rounds.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=854684

I was thinking about trying some of these for my K frame model 64-2 and loading them similar to the way I load my Bianchi Speed Strip for my J frame Bodyguard...2-space-2-space-2.

Your thoughts and comments?

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking at ways to carry extra ammo for my J frame. I normally don't carry two guns, I figure off duty my gun is mainly for my protection and the protection of my family. I would how ever drop a round into a bad guy if given the right opportunity.

I had thoughts of swapping my J frame out for a 3 inch 1911 or a glock 27. an extra magazine is a whole lot easier to carry than revolver ammo....

What ever it is I would want the extra ammo carried in something secured to the belt... It's just habit now...

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thx for posting that. I'll have to try the 8 round ones soon. I hear good things about the Tuff products strips. They make nylon pouches to fit them, too. I've been using Bianchi speed strips for a long time, in addition to speed loaders. Always carry them with a round in every socket for my J frame.

OT - I carried a back-up weapon for a long time in other states with a permit, for the same reasons you do. I now have a Florida non-res permit and took my OK class last week.

The instructor insisted that the OK SDA allows the carry of only one weapon. He cited SDA section 1290.3 in support of his position. He acknowledged that others [other instructors] disagreed with him on this. I cannot find any court cases or Atty Gen. opinions on the subject. I read 1290.3. Don't much see the instructor's point.

Needless to say, this would mess with the New York reload in a big way, if its right.

Can you shed some light on this? You obviously have decided two guns is OK. Have any experience with how local LEOs treat the subject?

jej

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thx for posting that. I'll have to try the 8 round ones soon. I hear good things about the Tuff products strips. They make nylon pouches to fit them, too. I've been using Bianchi speed strips for a long time, in addition to speed loaders. Always carry them with a round in every socket for my J frame.

OT - I carried a back-up weapon for a long time in other states with a permit, for the same reasons you do. I now have a Florida non-res permit and took my OK class last week.

The instructor insisted that the OK SDA allows the carry of only one weapon. He cited SDA section 1290.3 in support of his position. He acknowledged that others [other instructors] disagreed with him on this. I cannot find any court cases or Atty Gen. opinions on the subject. I read 1290.3. Don't much see the instructor's point.

Needless to say, this would mess with the New York reload in a big way, if its right.

Can you shed some light on this? You obviously have decided two guns is OK. Have any experience with how local LEOs treat the subject?

jej

Well...I AM the local LEO so I carry as many as I deem necessary. :selfangel

As for the average SDA holder? I say if you got 'em - pack 'em! You carry a spare tire in your trunk, don't you? I'm a firm believer in the old saying, "two is one, one is none."

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well...I AM the local LEO so I carry as many as I deem necessary. :selfangel

As for the average SDA holder? I say if you got 'em - pack 'em! You carry a spare tire in your trunk, don't you? I'm a firm believer in the old saying, "two is one, one is none."

And you ought to. I did not know you were a sworn officer. I think the same logic applies all the good guys. I was real surprised to hear this from the class instructor.

jej

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had thoughts of swapping my J frame out for a 3 inch 1911 or a glock 27. an extra magazine is a whole lot easier to carry than revolver ammo....

The thing about the J frame is that it is stone cold reliable.

I am no expert, but the very short 1911 platforms have a bad rep for reliability. Lots of 1911 guys say that about anything shorter than a commander platform.

Same for the .40 glocks, of all sizes. The 9mm are very reliable, but the .40s have a shaky track record, with several PDs having major problems. There is a very long thread on this at stoppingpower.com if you are interested in following up on it.

You are no doubt right about semi-auto reloads v. revolver reloads, but if I had to carry a single semi, it would be something other than the two you picked.

jej

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And you ought to. I did not know you were a sworn officer. I think the same logic applies all the good guys. I was real surprised to hear this from the class instructor.

jej

Eh. Don't be surprised what you hear from some SDA instructors. Hell, we had a guy on here not too long ago, who told his students that if you pull your weapon and point it at a BG, no matter what, you had damn well better SHOOT him!

If the BG sees your gun and turns to flee...uh...can you still shoot him? Is he still a threat to you? Are you SURE you wanna pull that trigger? :scratch:

I don't wanna be on THAT jury! :ooh2:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thing about the J frame is that it is stone cold reliable.

I am no expert, but he very short 1911 platforms have a bad rep for reliability. Lots of 1911 guys say that about anything shorter than a commander platform.

Same for the .40 glocks, of all sizes. The 9mm are very reliable, but the .40s have a shaky track record, with several PDs having major problems. There is a very long thread on this at stoppingpower.com if you are interested in following up on it.

You are no doubt right about semi-auto reloads v. revolver reloads, but if I had to carry a single semi, it would be something other than the two you picked.

jej

I was just using those two as an example because they are very popular NY reload combos. I don't use either.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eh. Don't be surprised what you hear from some SDA instructors. Hell, we had a guy on here not too long ago, who told his students that if you pull your weapon and point it at a BG, no matter what, you had damn well better SHOOT him!

If the BG sees your gun and turns to flee...uh...can you still shoot him? Is he still a threat to you? Are you SURE you wanna pull that trigger? :scratch:

I don't wanna be on THAT jury! :ooh2:

Yup. That's stupid.

jej