Rib-eye of the Sky........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_48891_.jpg

Got to enjoy some sandhill crain for the first time the other evening. That's them on the grill in the center, the two dark chunks of meat. One was cream cheese filled and other just plain. Both had a little S/P. Those of us eating had heard from several that it's the " rib-eye of the sky". They were 100% correct. The texture, taste and color were that of beef. I'm not saying it was a Grade A select Angus filet aged for 30 days, but I'll be adding this to my list of things to hunt from now on. It's the best wild game I've eaten without a doubt that can be hunted in Oklahoma. It got the "oh wow" and big thumbs up from five wives so it had to be good:)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Sorry no sand hill hunt pics, the bird came from a landowner who kept running them off of his fields. I told him he should buy a permit and put the shotgun sneak on them and bring me one to try. Sure enough he came through.:)

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
From what I hear they are quite wary and hard to decoy, guides in the TX panhandle use actual taxidermied sandies to hunt over. I have a feeling I'll just have to be sitting in the right fence row at the right time some morning.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had some come to a wet spot in a wheat field a couple of years ago. I kept hearing all of these weird noises all morning. Finally got out of the stand and spotted them. First time to ever see them. I didn't know what they were at first, and had heard on tv the day before that whooping cranes were migrating through the state. I got my bird Id book out at home to find out what they were. Big birds. I think they hunt them at Salt Plains?

Latest posts

Top Bottom