Rib-eye of the Sky........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had thousands fly over during rifle. They come of Salt Plains in flights of a hundred or so and the sound is weird at first!

This is a video I took last week while deer hunting up at Kegelman Airfield. It was like this for a solid hour. I have no way of accurately estimating how many there were but it was easily 2-3 thousand birds. I would assume they were heading to the salt plains lake to roost for the evening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Fajitas postponed till tomorrow, other plans were made that I didnt know about. Dennis this came from SE of Nash, which is about as far east as I usually see them. They usually hang out from about Ringwood and west from there. Thanks for posting vid bernardderek, everyone needs to experience a December evening by SP lake, waterfowl of all kinds thick as black smoke flying back to the lake. I hunt on occasion with a older guy who grew up in Cherokee, he said that before Sooner and Kaw were built, the waterfowl winter population at SP's was so incredible that you just couldnt imagine how may birds there were.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt on occasion with a older guy who grew up in Cherokee, he said that before Sooner and Kaw were built, the waterfowl winter population at SP's was so incredible that you just couldnt imagine how may birds there were.

I can back that up. We used to camp at Salt Plains when a Boy Scout, and Keystone lake was fairly new. Sooner and Kaw didn't exist. The biggest lake in the area was Ponca lake built during the great depression. The ducks were so thick on both, it was incredible.
According to the people that monitor duck populations, this year is supposed to be the greatest ever, but I'm not seeing them like back then. I'm sure its because they were more concentrated, but never the less.....

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Sorry no fajita pics, but they were delish. Wife and kids both gave two thumbs up. Will be buying some decoys and will do it right for next season. Going to see if I can make my turkey slate call sound like a crane, low pitched turkey fighting purr is what I'm thinking.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
They're still here so we're still chasing them:) Hundreds and hundreds of birds, and I'm still without decoys. Thinking about going the yard flamingo/gray spray paint route.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_68873_.jpg

My daughter asked, "dad, do you think there are any other eight year olds crane hunting this morning?", seriously doubt it sweetheart, you're probably the only one in world:)

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_69478_.jpg

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
They're still here so we're still chasing them:) Hundreds and hundreds of birds, and I'm still without decoys. Thinking about going the yard flamingo/gray spray paint route.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_68873_.jpg

My daughter asked, "dad, do you think there are any other eight year olds crane hunting this morning?", seriously doubt it sweetheart, you're probably the only one in world:)

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_1541693751_photobucket_69478_.jpg

where you hunting at okie? i have a buddy that has some land between cleo springs and aline. any birds in that area that you know of?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
where you hunting at okie? i have a buddy that has some land between cleo springs and aline. any birds in that area that you know of?

We're ENE of there about 30 miles, they Ringwood and Cleo area have always had a lot of crane activity. If he has rye or wheat it would be worth a look. They don't leave SP lake until later in the morning like geese do. We duck hunted just across the fence to the NW of the SP refuge last friday morning and there were a lot of cranes headed S and SW in that direction, probably 8:30ish. You can buy calls on the net or you can reproduce their sound with a turkey slate call.

Latest posts

Top Bottom