Rifle question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New gun, used gun or rebarrel?

• 260 Rem

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • 6.5 CM

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • 6 CM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6.5 Grendel

• Some newfangled thing

• Total voters

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So while we were out shooting in NM at the NRAWC last week, my wife got to shoot a 6.5CM and hit the buffalo target at 1123 yds. Now she thinks she needs something of her own that will do that. Problem is, her only rifle is a Savage 243 that she bought years ago to hunt with. From what I've read, the factory twist rate will prohibit shooting the heavy 6mm's that would get her that far.

So here's my facts: I already reload for 260 Rem, as I have a Ruger American Predator in that chambering. All my other 6.5 stuff is older/wildcat (6.5x55 and 6.5-06), so nothing I can find a newer rifle in probably, at least affordably. I want to stay low recoil, so something along the lines of poll options. There is the rebarrel option for her 243, and since its a Savage I could do it myself. But a finished, chambered, threaded barrel is $300-400 alone (ERShaw). This would be a mininally used rifle at best, so what say you?

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My comp rifle is a 25 Creedmoor and my kid's comp rifles are 6 Creedmoor... Minimal recoil and we're shooting 105grain Berger hybrids... Super consistent, manageable recoil. I'm a fan of the 243, which is one of the reasons I went 6 CM.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love my .260

Another option, instead of debarred, have the .243 cut to .264 and rifled to twist you want.

Before doing anything, I would load some heavy bullets and see how they shoot.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So while we were out shooting in NM at the NRAWC last week, my wife got to shoot a 6.5CM and hit the buffalo target at 1123 yds. Now she thinks she needs something of her own that will do that. Problem is, her only rifle is a Savage 243 that she bought years ago to hunt with. From what I've read, the factory twist rate will prohibit shooting the heavy 6mm's that would get her that far.

So here's my facts: I already reload for 260 Rem, as I have a Ruger American Predator in that chambering. All my other 6.5 stuff is older/wildcat (6.5x55 and 6.5-06), so nothing I can find a newer rifle in probably, at least affordably. I want to stay low recoil, so something along the lines of poll options. There is the rebarrel option for her 243, and since its a Savage I could do it myself. But a finished, chambered, threaded barrel is $300-400 alone (ERShaw). This would be a mininally used rifle at best, so what say you?
Man, if you have a wifey wanting a new gun, go for it.....don't cheap out......the best money....and cheapest.....you can spend. Better yet, get matching, consecutive serial number rigs. A couple that shoots together stays together.

Latest posts

Top Bottom