Ruger Mk III misfeeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I first got my MK II, it did the same thing, I thought it was the ammo, switched up and the same thing kept happening...so I finally changed out the extractor with a Volquartsen extractor and the problem went away. It will spit out any brand I feed it with no problems. We did the same thing with my Dad's MKIII 22/45.

I have an MKII that I think also has this extractor. Feeds and ejects pertty darn well. Sure is a very accurate gun.

RetCapt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back from my mini vacation. (Went to Portland to see the Rose Festival sports car races with my 2 brothers. Got to do some shooting during the trip! Got to shoot my brother's Judge. Now that is a handgun!)

I went to H&H today and bought 100 rds of CCI mini mags. The folks that suggested the higher velocity ammo were spot on. The mini mags had zero failures, stovepipes, misfeeds, or troubles of any kind. They shot so reliably it was almost boring!

Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations.:thumb:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your solution of the mini mags are generally what cures any .22 problems. I've owned and hunted with every model from the Mark I to my current Mark IV hunter. The only problem I've ever had with any of them was shooting the wax coated bullets, and the bulk boxes of .22 from Remington. The federal shoots every time. What I found with the wax coated bullets, is that it left wax on the feed ramp causing the bullet to be too high to chamber. 10 seconds with a pocket knife cured that problem every time it started happening.
I also found that using WD-40 in cold temps(0-15 degrees F) caused the WD to turn into some sort of jelly. The bolt wouldn't close, and had to be assisted with a bump on the slide. After using Kroil for a lube, those problems went away.
Here is what I do with mine:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P8090268.jpg

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your solution of the mini mags are generally what cures any .22 problems. I've owned and hunted with every model from the Mark I to my current Mark IV hunter. The only problem I've ever had with any of them was shooting the wax coated bullets, and the bulk boxes of .22 from Remington. The federal shoots every time. What I found with the wax coated bullets, is that it left wax on the feed ramp causing the bullet to be too high to chamber. 10 seconds with a pocket knife cured that problem every time it started happening.
I also found that using WD-40 in cold temps(0-15 degrees F) caused the WD to turn into some sort of jelly. The bolt wouldn't close, and had to be assisted with a bump on the slide. After using Kroil for a lube, those problems went away.
Here is what I do with mine:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P8090268.jpg

I;ve seen you post that pic before. Where is that? I'm jealous. I love froglegs. Never hunted them before. Never even seen so many either.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I;ve seen you post that pic before. Where is that? I'm jealous. I love froglegs. Never hunted them before. Never even seen so many either.

We got these last spring. We were on some farm ponds North of Stillwater. My buddy has permission to be on there, so we took his Yamaha Rinho thru the pastures. Ride up to a pond, get off, glass the weeds, and put the stalk on them up to about 20 yds, and then pick them off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom