Running the red on a motorcycle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaiahsdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tonight at 10 on News Channel 4 is the story and yours truly will be part of the story. The law is soon going to allow motorcycle drivers to run red lights under certain conditions. The law is based on motorcycles weight triggering traffic lights and the law is wrong. Traffic signals are triggered by coils in the ground creating a gigantic metal detector. Coming to a stop on one of the wires, or the intersection of wires will cause the light to change. Giving motorcycle riders the ability to run red lights is an invitation for disaster. The law has already passed in 7 other states, and I am amazed at how this law could pass without someone doing thier homework. I know there are riders on this forum, and I know some of them have had proper training and know how to trigger the lights, but you know there is going to be one out of a hundred who will miss use this law, and end up as road kill. And with all the accidents of late, the timing of this law is just plain wrong. For you riders, please use your heads and exercise a little patience, for you cagers, please watch out for motorcycles, nothing good is going to come from this law. In my humble and insignificant opinion.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay... here is my thoughts on it...

bike, car, truck, whatever, if you're driving a long in the middle of the night and you sit on a red light forever (sure, the term is relevant), if you run it when there is clearly nobody around, fine. I can understand that, and I would be lying if I said I haven't done the same thing.

However, having said that, there should not be a law protecting people doing that. By doing this, you solely take the decision in your hands, and are completely responsible for any outcome that may result from that decision.

Clear as mudd?

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never seen a rider dead of starvation at the intersection cause he couldn't trip a light. We're running the red lights now when necessary. Just like we'll do if the law goes into effect. The law will change nothing.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am pretty sure a similar law was passed about 6 years ago, I remember that because I was riding a lot at the time. The light has to sit unchanged for like 2-3 minutes. Having been a biker for 20 years, I can tell you that late night reds SUCK! Most bikers are very diligent in running a red, and when we do it, it is nerve-racking. If you are in a familiar area, bikers tend to (at least I always have) take routes that bypass left-hand turns and sticky lights any way. These laws eliminate some issues for bikers, but doesn't really endanger them any more that getting on a bike in the first place.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but i bet the bikers that would endanger themselves by running a red at a bad time would likely do it regardless of what the law says. This only decriminalizes it for those that would do it responsibly. Could this law be abused? Of course, but such is life.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but i bet the bikers that would endanger themselves by running a red at a bad time would likely do it regardless of what the law says. This only decriminalizes it for those that would do it responsibly. Could this law be abused? Of course, but such is life.

And the cops can still pull you over for running a light if its done recklessly.

ShovelRider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have ridden motorcycles for years. I understand about the sensors. There are some lights that cannot sense that a motorcycle is there, even when you are are directly on the strips, the technology is not perfect. I usually wait for the opposing lights to cycle a couple of times and if I don't get a green light, I check for traffic and proceed. No big deal just use a little common sense. I can remember sitting at one of these lights when there were 4 police cars immediately to my right, and the officers were out talking to one another. I was well aware that they were watching me while I was in traffic light lock down. I looked directly at them and shrugged my shoulders, and they motioned for me to go on. Thankfully they had some common sense as well.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you drink enough, the lights don't seem so... so.. red.

That's for I-240 Bike night crowd ;)

Out in the country or in small towns nearby, if there's no one else in ANY direction, I'll roll thru stop signs after slowing to a crawl. At "stuck" red lights, the only time I'll go is after stopping and waiting long enough to surrounding drivers that it's obvious that I can't trigger the signal. Even then, I've taken right turns, rather than going out into traffic. Late night and no traffic, I'll roll thru carefully after stopping.

Latest posts

Top Bottom