S&W 686plus 357 Revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryptoniteguy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 686 that I'm looking at for a friend. The issue, when the cylinder assembly is opened, you can freely pull the yoke out and completely remove the cylinder assembly. I've seen on the larger revolvers, there are 3 screws on the side, and the one under the cylinder is what helps keep the yoke in. This revolver only has 2 screws, and doesn't seem to effect the yoke. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 686 that I'm looking at for a friend. The issue, when the cylinder assembly is opened, you can freely pull the yoke out and completely remove the cylinder assembly. I've seen on the larger revolvers, there are 3 screws on the side, and the one under the cylinder is what helps keep the yoke in. This revolver only has 2 screws, and doesn't seem to effect the yoke. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have not looked this up in the book, isn't there a screw on the side plate where it would be where the yoke is? Perhaps the screw has been sheered or is warn? Do you have a photo?

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What “dash” is it? The -4?-5 and newer have a plunger in the side plate screw that hold the yoke/crane in. Call S&W customer service and they will send you one, probably free. You will need the serial number. If you strike out, let me know. I may have one in stock.

It is possible that if they have the side plate screw that goes under the grip in the yoke screw location, that screw is too short. If you can get a pic of the gun without the grips, that would help

Latest posts

Top Bottom