90 F150 problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@swampratt
Question for car guys. If I unplug the exciter wire plug on top of the alternator, but leave the belt on, will that cause any damage? I want to drive a short distance just on the battery so I don't cause any damage to the new alternator if it is the battery causing it to get hot.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update on this if anyone is interested. Bent the fan blades a lot. Got them all as close to parallel as I could. Whistling went away.

O'Reilly's said my battery was good but I had it on the charger all day and it never got above 83 percent. Voltage while running was reading lower than it should be and the battery was over 6 years old.

Got a new battery and voltage is reading and working correctly as far as I can tell. Starts very fast now too. Gauge in cluster is dead center again. So had a bad battery and alternator it seems.

Last edited:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@montesa it acts like it’s starved for fuel if I give it to much throttle. It’s got the pressure gauge on it now. Wanted to check pressure before I pull the bed again. Sure enough, about 22 psi for the front and about 28 for the rear
I read somewhere the fuel pressure should be around 50psi for the 4.9. Could the fuel pressure regulator be causing an issue? Just guessing.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I read somewhere the fuel pressure should be around 50psi for the 4.9. Could the fuel pressure regulator be causing an issue? Just guessing.
I read that it could be anywhere from 35 to 50. If I can get to the 35, I think I’ll be fine.
Regulator on the way. The closest one in oreilly inventory was sitting in a wharehouse in Houston. Should be here tomorrow. Another $100 part!

Last edited:

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read that it could be anywhere from 35 to 50. If I can get to the 35, I think I’ll be fine.
Regulator on the way. The closest one in oreilly inventory was sitting in a wharehouse in Houston. Should be here tomorrow
I have read that if you pull the vacuum hose off of the regulator and see fuel it's bad. Probably just telling you stuff you already know but I like trying to guess ha

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I have read that if you pull the vacuum hose off of the regulator and see fuel it's bad. Probably just telling you stuff you already know but I like trying to guess ha
I had seen that in YT vids a simple test that the diaphragm was bad. The vid I watched last night had a guy with 25 in the rear and 0 in the front. His vacuum line didn’t have fuel in it but it fixed his problem. So, I rolled the $100 dice and have my fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom