The essential aftermarket watch strap thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You swell up, get that not so fresh feeling, you hate men. What are you trying to tell us Evan?

I just want someone to hold me! :cry3:

giphy-1 (2).gif

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Placed orders for the following straps from Nick Mankey Designs for the FXD:

1. Navy blue Chrono-Grip with bead blasted titanium hardware.

2. Navy blue Hook Strap Pro with bead blasted stainless steel hardware.

3. Steel gray Hook Strap Pro with bead blasted stainless steel hardware.

4. Alert red Hook Strap Pro with navy stitching and bead blasted stainless hardware (figured it would match some of my St. Louis Cardinals caps and clothing).

https://nickmankeydesigns.com/

It's a 12-14+ week wait as I previously mentioned, but I'm in the queue. I'll be sure to post photos when the straps arrive. The wait time is at least shorter than some of the repro flight jacket manufacturers that I've placed orders with in the past, which are typically a 1+ year wait. I've been in Good Wear Leather Coat Co.'s queue since last September for an A-2.

Here's what Nick's Hook Strap Pro straps (version for fixed bars) look like...

Screenshot_20240620_142954_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_142958_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240620_143002_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My FXD strap arrived from Erika's Originals today. It was a 21 day turnaround, but I think part of the delay was due to me selecting the vintage webbing option on my order, when that particular webbing is not FXD compatible. Thankfully Erika changed my order to original/ yellow and didn't charge me the extra $10 for the modern webbing. Hardware is engraved M.N. 24 to match the caseback and bead blasted.

4hVLhhY.jpeg

tHOs0cv.jpeg

MahYpf7.jpeg

0aaZJwG.jpeg

Tudor-Marine-Nationale-history-94010-strap.jpg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I received a couple WOE Glomar Explorer straps for the FXD a couple weeks back. I wanted to wear them for a bit before posting any feedback. So far, I'd rank the Glomar Explorer straps just behind an Erika's Originals strap in terms of wearability. They're not quite as comfortable as an Erika's strap, but I actually prefer them on the FXD since it's such a chore to remove and install an Erika's strap on an FXD (very tight squeeze through fixed bar openings). My only regret is that I purchased the short length. The standard length would have fit fine and would make getting the strap on and off the wrist quite a bit easier. With the shorter length, I have to unthread the strap completely from the buckle in order to put the watch on or take it off. This can't really be done one handed, while standing, and increases the likelihood that you might accidentally drop the watch if you try. Once the standard length is restocked, I'll likely purchase an OD strap and another black strap. I don't know why, but I really like the branding on the buckle.

20240705_160855.jpg

20240705_161124.jpg

20240705_161207.jpg

20240705_161224.jpg

Last edited:

mtngunr

Marksman
Reaction score
Most straps can be found to be the same from vendor to vendor, they all come from same place, C&B sells this as the Heavy Duty NATO, in single layer or two, where the extra layer does nothing for security but does add thickness and more metal with which to scratch things. Being ex-GI, this does all I want, which is to not annoy me, and to keep watch firmly tied to arm, metal nicely rounded to not scratch or snag, and everything sturdy as can be, with no worries as to anything. STRAP, WATCH, BASIC.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom