The ultimate beater watch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After recently getting back into watch collecting, I had an idea that I wanted to make the ultimate beater watch that I can wear to work or at other times it is likely to get damaged. I wanted something that would be good quality, and be different enough that it would be something of a conversation piece. As an exercise, I set a few ground rules. I wanted a titanium case for light weight, I wanted to hydromod it, so it needed to be quartz, I wanted something with a recognizable brand name, and I wanted to see if I could put it together for less than 50 bucks. Well, I did it. I found a Swiss Army titanium watch listed as not working on ebay for 20 bucks shipped. On receipt, I found that the motion was bad. A replacement ronda motion including battery was 10 bucks. The crystal was very scratched. I used diamond polishing paste to remove the scratches enough to satisfy me. I'd say the cost on that was 3 bucks. I filled the case with non-conductive silicone oil. For those not familar with hydromodding, this theoretically renders the watch water proof to any depth. The linked video demonstrates this if anyone is interested . I'd say 5 bucks for the silicone oil. I put it all together this afternoon, it worked out very well, I think. I'd appreciate comments, good or bad.

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 11

mtngunr

Marksman
Reaction score
I am impressed. I would think any liquid in case would dampen movement enough to effect time keeping, but that is from the perspective of someone who studied watchmaking when quartz was new. Personally, I just buy and wear Seiko automatic ISO dive watches, figuring a minute or two fast per month perfectly fine and able to easily take anything I put it through, from recoil to magnetic fields, and they stay on except for showers (only to dodge soap effects on seals). Good solid beaters that stay looking presentable, and a movement swap every 6-7yrs and new seals about all that's required. I remember the first Seiko I worked on, and was thinking what a cheap way of doing things, except, they generally work as well or better than much finer watches.

Latest posts

Top Bottom