Why do you carry a revolver?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From '74 to '99, (roughly a quarter-century) I carried a snub-nosed revolver in .38 Special. Loaded with 158-grain semi-jacketed hollow-points. I carried one in the military, so that's what I was used to. I finally put it away in the gunsafe, and bought a semi-auto in 9mm.

My daughter had always liked shooting my revolver, so it was an 'extra' college graduation present. She still carries it in her car.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
From '74 to '99, (roughly a quarter-century) I carried a snub-nosed revolver in .38 Special. Loaded with 158-grain semi-jacketed hollow-points. I carried one in the military, so that's what I was used to. I finally put it away in the gunsafe, and bought a semi-auto in 9mm.

My daughter had always liked shooting my revolver, so it was an 'extra' college graduation present. She still carries it in her car.
I hope she remembers to lock it every time she leaves it unnattended.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope she remembers to lock it every time she leaves it unnattended.
She keeps it in a quick-release safe, that's bolted in. She's well-versed in everything from law to safety to maintenance/cleaning to marksmanship, and even holster draw. I'm quite proud of my little twerp (I mean, my little girl! Yeah, that's what I mean... :o)

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use revolver’s at various times for very specific tasks that they do better than other options.
I mean a customized ruger bisley does 44 mag and above really well for its size and weight.
Indestructible, reliable and accurate.
A hammerless 642 in a jacket pocket isn’t going to get bound up in clothing thru all 5 rounds.
You can also contact fire all of them in a target..
22lr revolvers for varmit dispatch using snake shot and light sub sonic ammo.
Also big time cool factor

mtngunr

Marksman
Reaction score
Reliability? Ease of use? Nostalgia?

Seems like the capacity and reload disadvantages would hinder this choice, but I'm sure there are some that still prefer a wheel gun.
Like Bill Jordan said, if you haven't solved your problem with six shots, what makes you think it will get any better with another six?

If your job description involves being on a stake-out squad to break up armed gang bank robberies in progress, by all means practice reloads, mowing down multiple targets, and carry a full combat load. For everyone else, not so much, as when the shooting starts, few hang around.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like Bill Jordan said, if you haven't solved your problem with six shots, what makes you think it will get any better with another six?

If your job description involves being on a stake-out squad to break up armed gang bank robberies in progress, by all means practice reloads, mowing down multiple targets, and carry a full combat load. For everyone else, not so much, as when the shooting starts, few hang around.

All you gotta do is change the bad guy's mind.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll say again that I really do love revolvers. Revolvers and 1911s are gorgeous and I love the feel of em too. Striker fired polymer guns do nothing much for me… no butterflies or feelings of excitement. I can look at a gunshop case full of polymer sigs/glocks/m&ps/etc and it’s all just meh whatever. They all work and they’re all boring.

That being said, if I’m getting in a pistol fight give me my Glocks for sure.

I recently acquired another LCR .38 to keep around for wife and daughter. Compact revolvers are harder to shoot accurately, but their simplicity and intuitiveness makes them good for novice shooters who are intimidated by operating a bottom feeder

Latest posts

Top Bottom