S&W Model 41 questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a new S&W Model 41. Are they that much better than say a Ruger MK II Slabside or Buck Mark Contour.
I know the quality and snob appeal is there but can you feel a difference or see a difference in accuracy? I'm really thinking about one just because of the background and history of it and it feels so good in the hand. Thank you.

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I have heard that before. Will mainly be shooting for steel challenge using CCI mini mag 40 Grain target ammo 1235 fps if you think that would run in it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used one the armory had for our rifle pistol club at NWOSU. I shot all they had on the rack but only liked two of them. One became MY pistol assigned to me and me alone and the second was my backup I never needed. We shot the regular old NRA Postal Matches and we won several of them as a team and individual top scores. They are great pistols.

My buddy sprung for a High Standard and hated it finally going back to the 41. This was in the 1970s.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had one and it was very accurate and felt good in the hand, natural pionter. Sent it to Clark customs for a general go over and tune up and the said "standard velocity ammo only", worked real nice with CCI standards. Got rid of it because I hardly shot it after the impromtu bullseye matches ended at BDC.
Need some mags or target grips, right and left hand? I ran accross some I still had when I sold it.

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re serious I have one with less than 300 rounds on it that I might sell. We used to shoot bullseye matches in town here and it is a shooter, but we no longer shoot and it just sits in the safe.

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had one and it was very accurate and felt good in the hand, natural pionter. Sent it to Clark customs for a general go over and tune up and the said "standard velocity ammo only", worked real nice with CCI standards. Got rid of it because I hardly shot it after the impromtu bullseye matches ended at BDC.
Need some mags or target grips, right and left hand? I ran accross some I still had when I sold it.
Thanks
I will keep you in mind for the mags and grips if I get one

jollyrancher

Marksman
Reaction score
I've heard they can be ammo sensitive. Mine has not been the case. Heck, I can even run thunderbolts through it. Got two barrels. The long barrel is boring accurate. The other is a rare bird I stumbled upon. It is threaded for a suppressor. It had to be internally threaded to add a threaded adapter. They're kinda the pits to thread because of the front sight and slide profile. I have several buckmarks, a ruger mkiv, a s&w victory, and a couple others. They're good guns, but the 41 blows them out of the water. Only pistol that comes close is my high standard supermatic, but factory mags are hard to find.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about the newer ones, I've had mine since sometime in the '80s. Mine has the best trigger of any gun I own, or at least I don't have anything else with a better trigger. It's very easy to shoot accurately, even inexperienced shooters love it. It will jam occasionally, I never paid much attention to whether with match or cheap bullets, but it does not jam frequently... I just could not say it NEVER jams, and I usually shoot cheap ammo. I've probably shot match ammo through it, but not in a long time.

I don't have much experience with the Rugers or Buck Marks.... I've shot Buck Marks and would say they're not really in the same league as the 41, but then they're not as expensive. If I had to rate all my guns from least to most favorite, the 41 would definitely be near or at the top. It's just a pleasure to shoot. I got it used but as far as I know there has never been any customization, it's just out of the box.

Latest posts

Top Bottom