Sage Dynamics Red Dot study

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Which one do you have? I have a 6.5 (RM07) that I might be interested in swapping for a 3.25. My astigmatism makes a 3.25 look like an 8.
This is why I haven't seriously looked into setting up a red dot on a pistol. I have an astigmatism and I don't know if I could use a red dot like I did before.

I think something like the Holosun 507 C with the circle, circle dot, or dot reticle would work better for me on a handgun.

I had to go to a prism scope on long guns because a 2moa dot looked like a big star.

Attachments

• Holosun307c-three-reticle-options.jpg
    Holosun307c-three-reticle-options.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This is why I haven't seriously looked into setting up a red dot on a pistol. I have an astigmatism and I don't know if I could use a red dot like I did before.

I think something like the Holosun 507 C with the circle, circle dot, or dot reticle would work better for me on a handgun.

I had to go to a prism scope on long guns because a 2moa dot looked like a big star.
For some reason I cant edit my post to add the right image for the 507 C.

HS507C-V2-2T.jpg

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I’m using a 507c on two of my competition Glocks right now. They have been rick solid and I really like the circle-dot reticle. I started with a RMR and moved to the 507c. I’m very tempted to put one on a carry gun now, replacing a RMR.

I’ve been very successful shooting the 507c.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dots on pistols is the way of the future. I like that Sage Dynamics channel, he really cuts out most of the BS and focuses on seeing how much pain a piece of equipment can take.

You don’t necessarily need actual range time to practice using a pistol optic. Dry fire and draw dills will do a lot to get you consistent in the presentation needed to see the dot quickly. When you do get to the range you can then practice tracking the dot as you break your shots instead of playing where’s Waldo during valuable range time.

If you have astigmatism, don’t get too worried about it or let it hold you back from trying optics. I have it pretty bad and yeah, I don’t see the nice circle dot most of you all do but that is just an small inconvenience compared to the benefits.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a 3.5 moa dot in my Aimpoint ACRO and haven’t felt like I needed anything bigger. Maybe my astigmatism “bloom” effect makes it seem a little larger? Dunno YMMV.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Circle dot is the way for me. If the dot wanders off to the side, the edge of the circle is still in view and makes it faster to get the dot back on target.
Agree with others that if you don't have a range handy, put a spot on the wall in the garage or shop and practice drawing to bring the dot to the target. The secret is to not get it down once and then never keep the practice up. It doesn't take long to lose that training.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Circle dot is the way for me. If the dot wanders off to the side, the edge of the circle is still in view and makes it faster to get the dot back on target.
Agree with others that if you don't have a range handy, put a spot on the wall in the garage or shop and practice drawing to bring the dot to the target. The secret is to not get it down once and then never keep the practice up. It doesn't take long to lose that training.

They are nice, seems like best of both worlds. The next pistol I set up with optics’s will get one of the Holosun circle dot models.

Latest posts

Top Bottom