Salt Plains Controlled Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Which area at the refuge? I hunt occasionally with a friend on priviate land that borders the North end of refuge. You probably won't be disapointed in which ever area you draw. Deer density is incredible and it hasn't seemed to effect the size of the racks.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some really nice antlered deer up there. Is it a rifle hunt? I haven't hunted on the refuge, but if its a rifle hunt, I would suggest find an area that is elevated and provides a good view, be extremely proficient with your rifle. You may glass almost all day waiting for the "big one" but be patient. If its close to the rut, you will likely see bucks running around all day.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My then 11 year old son shot this monster his FIRST TIME OUT, FIRST DEER on private land about 1 mile from there. It weighed 260lbs, that was 3 years ago and he's still grounded.[Broken External Image]

OUPE

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hunt is Nov 11-14. I believe we are hunting the area south of hwy 11. The gentleman I spoke with at the refuge said it is called the "wilderness area". He said it covers around 4,000 acres and the area runs south until the lake. We hunt up in that area and in years past it seems like the chasing really begins right before rifle season opens so I think the timing is going to be pretty good. I am just curious if there are areas within the "wilderness area" that are better than others. Since you can not scout prior to the hunt, any information helps.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Your hunt dates should be prime. On a "normal" year, that area is usually quite wet and full of tall grass and salt cedar, but who knows this year about the water. Hope you have a great hunt. How many hunters will be in that area?

OUPE

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some really nice antlered deer up there. Is it a rifle hunt? I haven't hunted on the refuge, but if its a rifle hunt, I would suggest find an area that is elevated and provides a good view, be extremely proficient with your rifle. You may glass almost all day waiting for the "big one" but be patient. If its close to the rut, you will likely see bucks running around all day.

Yes, it is a rifle hunt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom