Salt Plains Controlled Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was on the northern boundary road a few years ago. there was a low area/dry creek coming out. the deer tracks were unbelievable. Property owner on north side of road said his property had high demand for deer lease.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I've hunted the Wilderness area twice. The first time was 20years ago when they opened it up for the first time in 45 years. The hunt director said there could potentially be a state record in there. Three of us drew the gun hunt. Camping was allowed at that time in the area, so we set up a camp with another group of 4. The hunt director came to our camp while setting up and said that 12 had been drawn for an archery hunt. They drove to the area, looked it over, and left without even scouting.
12 MZ hunters drew out, and one stayed for one day.

So, there were 7 of us on the hunt with rifle.

Nothing but cattails, and salt cedar in the hunt area, other than a few scattered patches of cotton wood trees. Intensely thick I might add. I saw one cotton wood tree about three hundred yds away, and it took me two hours to reach it. Lowest limb was way beyond my reach, so another two hours on my hand and knees to get out of there. The cattails were in bloom, and every time one walked through them they exploded with their seed, and clogged your nose.

By this time, I think your getting my drift.

The hunt was either sex, and I finally found a spindly tree to get above the salt cedars. Saw a doe and dropped her.

I knew I would never find the place after getting my help rounded up. Had some plastic trail tape in Orange, that I threw up into the tree to mark it, and got my buddies. We were 1/2 mile from camp, and it took 4 hours to get the doe out.

It was the toughest hunt I've ever been on. Deer were everywhere, you could hear them running, but never see them.

Checking in the doe, the GW said it was a 10 1/2 year old. Had very little teeth and weighed 130lbs.

Day two, the other hunters left.

Since I had my tag filled. I was in camp, when one of the Fed Wildlife guys came by. We talked, and found out that Sand creek was included in the hunt area. (check before you hunt this.)

It was running pretty good at the time with recent rains. I walked down the creek, in the creek (ankle deep), and spotted deer crossings. There were trees big enough to put some stands in.

With the current drought, I'm sure sand creek is dry, BUT, it offers a way to get into the wilderness area, and possibly get a deer out easier.

We drew it two years later, and again, I had the only success. It wasn't on sand creek, but close to the camp nearby.

I hope this helps you. :D

OUPE

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The game warden said that you could walk down a dry river bed. Maybe this is Sand Creek? Is there any access from HWY 38 or any county roads on the east side?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Camped there as well.

I don't know how the hunt has changed since I've been there, so I hope you and the wife have good luck.
You will earn your deer. Its REAL hunting. :D I've put in for it every year since, and have not been drawn. I'm sure most of the folks that put in are not aware of how difficult the hunt is.

If there is a BIG rain before your hunt, I'd take a canoe, or flat bottom boat to get the animal out. Much easier.

Hope this helps. :D

oOVEGGIEOo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Used to hunt property right across the street from it. Lots of very big deer as all have said.

Oh, and you may want some protection for your knees or get ready for a ridiculous amount of sand burrs on your pants, boots....everything. We call em goat heads....they are thick thick thick....and will make you bleed. Oh, and check out the restaurant "The Flatlander" while you are around Nuskatonga (something along those lines) if it's still open. The food....isn't that great to be honest. But man, if that owner is still around, he is worth it for the entertainment he provides. Lets just say he is as unique as his decorations that are in there.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hunted just N of the refuge this evening, it's VERY wet. I'm sure some will soak in but the river and Sand creek had water moving and it's rained up into Kansas so there should be some more run off moving down. May want the rubber boots:) Lot's of deer tonight but no shooters.

ethanw08

New to the site!
Reaction score
I drew a hunt for Great Salt Plains this year. I have tried contacting both the Wildlife Refuge Headquarters and the Biologist in that region. However, they seem to be horrible at responding to their emails. I am trying to figure out if we will be assigned to regions to hunt. If not I would like to know so I can start planning my maps and what not. Any input would be greatly appreciated. My hunt is an either sex archery hunt 10-14 through 10-17.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ethanw08, I will be up there the 14-16 for a youth hunt on my friends land. He's the fish Bio. at the hatchery. PM me and I'll give u my number and maybe he can help, if it's not too late for ya. Jimmy

Latest posts

Top Bottom